[Sayma-Announce] [Fwd: Summer Family Workcamp]

Errol Hess errol at kitenet.net
Fri Apr 4 10:06:47 EDT 2008

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Byron Sandford <byron at williampennhouse.org>
To: Brad Ogilvie <brad at williampennhouse.org>
Subject: Summer Family Workcamp
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:44:40 -0500

Family Eco-Tour/Service Learning Trip to Washington DC
Sunday Evening June 29th – Sunday Noon July 7, 2008
William Penn House

Join us at The William Penn House in Washington DC as we celebrate our
nation’s heritage and
be a part of making it an even better place to live. This week will
include service and learning
opportunities with an ecological perspective.

The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is an international exposition of
living cultural heritage
annually produced outdoors on the National Mall of the United States in
Washington, D.C., by
the Smithsonian Institution's Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage.
Last year they began to
address the ecological impact of the Festival with a plastic bottle
recycling program. This year
they are expanding to include an effort to make a large percentage of
the trash generated by the
festival either recycled or composted.

Your family can be a part of this effort by joining the festival
volunteer crew to help festival
goers sort their trash appropriately into recycling and composting bins.
http://www.folklife.si.edu/center/festival_2008.html
Eco Learning:
In addition to participating in the Folklife Festival, we will learn
about the growing problems of
urban waste-streams and what we can do about it. Activities include:
• a visit to the Anacostia Watershed Society and the Anacostia River to
see what is
happening to clean up one of the rivers that run through the city
• helping to construct a rain garden in the William Penn House backyard.
4th of July family fun:
There will be lots of time for families to take advantage of many of the
other fun things to do
during the week of the 4th of July, including the Smithsonian Folk Life
Festival, concerts,
movies, the Smithsonian museums, the National Zoo and of course the 4th
of July fireworks on
the National Mall. Most of these activities are free.
Cost: The best part about this Eco-Tour Week at The William Penn House
is how inexpensive it
is.
• Lodging & Workcamp Fee: $250 per person or $1,000 per family of 4 or more
(children under the age of 18). William Penn House provides shared
accommodations
(including bed linens and towels).
• Transportation: Parking can be scarce and expensive. If you wish to
bring your car, we
will provide parking passes for the neighborhood but cannot guarantee
spaces. Metro is
the best way to get around. A Metrobus 7-day pass costs $11 and a
Metrorail 7-day pass
costs $26.40. For more information check out the DC Metro web site at:
http://www.wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm
• Food: Breakfast is included at the William Penn House. There is a
refrigerator and
microwave available for your use at the House and you can pack picnic
lunches or
dinners. The house kitchen is not available for guests.
For more information or to make reservations, contact Patricia Newkirk
at the William
Penn House. www.WilliamPennHouse.org 202.543.5560