[Sayma-Announce] Fw: Invitation to join the 2009 Gathering Comittee

Liz Perch liz at lizperch.com
Thu Mar 27 22:32:24 EDT 2008

Dear Friend in SAYMA,
We hope that this letter finds you looking forward to the FGC Gathering in Johnstown, Pennsylvania this summer. As you may realize, planning for the Gathering each summer begins in the spring a year before the Gathering. The Gathering in 2009 will once again be in Blacksburg, Virginia. We would like to extend an invitation to you to join the 2009 FGC Gathering Committee and to come to the first of four Gathering Committee Meetings May 16-17 at the Raleigh Friends Meeting, Raleigh, NC.

The Gathering Committee is responsible for planning the program of one particular annual Gathering and providing care for that Gathering when it meets. A new committee is organized for each Gathering. This Committee is self-selected and includes members of the Long Range Conference Planning (LRCP) Committee, FGC staff, and other members who are recruited to also serve on one of the subcommittees.

At this first meeting in North Carolina we will choose the theme for the Gathering and form the subcommittees that will work together to plan the Gathering. We will arrange your food and housing through the Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill Meetings. We will gather for dinner, worship, and a chance to get to know each other on Friday evening May 16.  We will then meet all day Saturday, spilling into the evening if needed.  We will reflect on why the Gathering matters so much to us, and consider what we can do to sustain this wonderful spiritual tradition of the Friends General Conference. It is our responsibility to set the vision and hopes for the Gathering 2009, not the logistics, at this initial May meeting.

This Gathering Committee will meet four times: the first meeting is in Raleigh May 16-17, 2008; the second will be for one and a half hours at the 2008 Gathering in Johnstown; the third meeting will be in the fall of 2008; and the last will be in May, 2009 at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg - where the Gathering will be held a few months later. One does not have to commit to attending all of the meetings; instead, one is committing oneself to careful deliberation and energetic participation! At the Gathering in Blacksburg, we will meet daily to hold the Gathering in the Light! Some subcommittees may require additional meetings beyond the four Gathering meetings.

An attachment describes the subcommittees of the Gathering Committee.

We are looking for between 30 and 40 Friends who discern the gifts that bless them and are willing to share their gifts with the Gathering. We want to bring many ideas and hopes and Spirit to the process of forming this Gathering of Friends. Therefore, this letter will be distributed to meetings and worship groups in the area of Blacksburg, the Long Range Conference Planning Committee of FGC, and some individuals Friends.

How do you get started? Just fill out the enclosed application, send it to Traci Hjelt Sullivan at the Friends General Conference, and be open to the possibilities that our work together with FGC will bring.  And encourage a Friend who is ready to grow in service to other Friends to do the same.

With joy,

David Bailey and Karen McKinnon
Co-Clerks, 2009 Gathering Committee
Friendship and Durham Friends Monthly Meetings
Piedmont Friends Fellowship/North Carolina Yearly Meeting Conservative