[Sayma-Announce] Heeding God's Call: A Gathering on Peace: Prayer request

Liz Perch adminasst at sayma.org
Mon Nov 24 19:53:59 EST 2008

logo-B&W
Seeking Your Prayers

We ask Friends throughout the country to pray for peace in our world and for
Heeding God's Call: A Gathering on Peace. Christian communions from around
North America will be gathering in Philadelphia January 13-17, 2009,  for a
four day gathering to strengthen our witness and our work for peace.  We
hope that your meeting will join in an ever widening circle of prayer for
this event.  Please announce this event.  Also enclosed is an invitation to
prayer that you can put in your announcements, your newsletter, or on the
meeting's email listserve.

God's Spirit is stirring us as Christians to seek peace amidst wars around
the world, international terrorism, and violence in our communities.
Heeding God's Call: A Gathering on Peace will be a working gathering where
delegates seek God's guidance as we develop further plans, suggestions, or
proposals for peacebuilding.  We expect to hear from a variety of
perspectives, exploring the different ways Jesus' call to be peacemakers is
being interpreted and made manifest in our suffering world.  This gathering
of Christian communions will include dialogue with our Jewish and Muslim
sisters and brothers.

This Gathering was initially called together by the Church of the Brethren,
the Mennonite Central Committee, and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), and will bring together participants
from over 50 denominations.  We come together in the belief that the time
has arrived for gathering our communities of faith around the challenges of
building peace by inspiring hope, raising voices, taking action.

We ask your prayers that participants will return to their denominations and
their home congregations with a deeper commitment to God's call to
peacebuilding, with renewed energy, and with greater attentiveness to the
Spirit that dwells within us all, calling us to restore God's world for all
God's children.

We invite you to join in praying for this event in the certain faith that
the Gathering will be drawn by your prayers more fully into God's guiding
presence.

For newsletter, meeting announcements, and meeting list serve

Please hold in your prayers Heeding God's Call:  A Gathering on Peace which
will be held at the Arch Street Meetinghouse in Philadelphia, January 13-17,
2009.  This gathering of people from more than 50 Christian denominations
will seek God's guidance as they develop explore  ways that Jesus' call to
peacemaking can be made more manifest in our suffering world.  The planners
ask for our prayers that participants will return to their denominations and
God's children.  More information can be found at www.peacegathering2009.org
<http://www.peacegathering2009.org/>  .

Prayer and Pastoral Care Task Group for Heading God's Call:  A Gathering on
Peace

c/o Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends,

1515 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102.

267-519-5301,  <mailto:admin at peacegathering2009.org>
admin at peacegathering2009.org