[Sayma-Announce] For YM newsletters, emailings, and websites from Pendle Hill

Shirley Dodson Shirley at pendlehill.org
Wed Oct 1 15:59:46 EDT 2008

Dear Friend,

Below are draft articles about Pendle Hill's new Resident Program class
and about upcoming Quakerism weekends.  We would be grateful if you
would share this information with Friends in your yearly meeting through
newsletters, emailings, and your website.  Please let me know if you
would like more information and/or photos.  If this material should be
directed to another Friend, please let me know.

With gratitude,
Shirley Dodson
*****

Pendle Hill Offers Weekends on Quaker Basics: Clerking, Recording,
Outreach, and the Peace Testimony

A participant in a recent "how-to" weekend at Pendle Hill wrote, "I came
to the workshop hoping for some 'tools' for the toolbox and left with
the hardware store!"  Many Friends serving their meetings as clerks,
recording clerks, and committee members find it useful to add to their
"toolbox" through workshops with Friends called to the same service.
This winter Pendle Hill is offering several workshops with experienced
leaders on Quaker meeting essentials:

*
	"Claiming Our Peace Testimony," December 5-7, with Mary Lord,
former peacebuilding staff for the American Friends Service Committee;

*
	"Recording: Spiritual Discipline and Communal Gift," with
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Friends Mario Cavallini and Sondra Ball;

*
	"Meeting Growth and Revitalization," January 30-Feb. 1 with
Deborah Haines (co-sponsored by the Advancement and Outreach Committee
of Friends General Conference); and

*
	"Clerking," February 6-8 with Iowa Yearly Meeting (Conservative)
clerks Deborah Fisch and Bill Deutsch.

For more information visit www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call 1-800-742-3150, ext. 3.
Pendle Hill will match grants from meetings to help enable Friends to
attend these workshops.

Pendle Hill is a Quaker center for study and contemplation in
Wallingford, PA.
****
Pendle Hill Welcomes Diverse, International Class of Resident Students

This fall's resident student body at Pendle Hill includes a social
worker who has volunteered with Friends Peace Teams in Africa, an
elementary school teacher interested in starting a Friends school, a
Celtic Friend researching Quaker Quietism, a Korean Presbyterian pastor,
and a Kenyan Quaker law clerk seeking transformative solutions to
serious social problems.  Other resident students are in transition -
taking time to discern the next steps in their lives - with several
exploring possibilities for retirement.  Five students have brought
their families, adding five girls age 8-12 to the Pendle Hill community
in Wallingford, Pennsylvania.

This year's resident students will join in the Pendle Hill community
program of "work, worship, and study," taking classes, participating in
meeting for worship, and doing physical work together.  The program also
includes weekly meetings with a spiritual nurturer for discernment and
planning.  For more information on Pendle Hill's Resident Program and
the experiences of resident students, visit www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call (610) 566-4507, ext. 161.
Pendle Hill is a Quaker center for study and contemplation.

*****

________________________________

For emailings and mailings to Clerks, Newsletter editors, etc.:
________________________________

December 5-7, 2008
Claiming Our Peace Testimony
<blocked::blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/fall_2008_course_w
orkshop_retreat_descriptions.php#1205b>
Pendle Hill weekend workshop with Mary Lord
Investigate the spiritual roots of Quaker peacemaking, share personal
peace journeys, and explore the rich heritage of Quaker experiments and
experience as peacemakers.  What does the peace testimony mean for us
today - for our personal lives, our meetings, and the wider world?  Is
it practical?  Have we made a difference?

Register online
<blocked::blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8
410&m_id=107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or
(610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call (800) 742-3150,
ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).
-----

January 16-18
Recording: Spiritual Discipline and Communal Gift
<blocked::http://http//www.pendlehill.org/programs/winter_2009_course_wo
rkshop_retreat_descriptions.php#0116a>
Pendle Hill weekend workshop with Mario Cavallini and Sondra Ball
For both experienced recording clerks and those who are new, this
weekend focuses on both the practical and spiritual dimensions of
recording in Quaker business sessions.

our website at www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call (800) 742-3150,
ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).
-----

January 30-February 1
On Being Gathered: A Workshop on Meeting Growth and Revitalization
<blocked::http://http//www.pendlehill.org/programs/winter_2009_course_wo
rkshop_retreat_descriptions.php#0130>
Pendle Hill weekend with Deborah Haines
Co-sponsored by the Advancement and Outreach Committee of Friends
General Conference
Participants will look at outreach and meeting growth as extensions of
gathered worship and the invisible threads that knit Friends together
while attending to the Inward Teacher.

our website at www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call (800) 742-3150,
ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).
-----

February 6-8
Clerking
<blocked::http://http//www.pendlehill.org/programs/winter_2009_course_wo
rkshop_retreat_descriptions.php#0206a>
Pendle Hill weekend with Deborah Fisch and Bill Deutsch
New and experienced clerks will consider the fundamentals of a Quaker
meeting for worship with attention to business, discerning and recording
the "sense of the meeting," setting agendas, distinguishing between
political and spiritual statements, and exploring ways to deal with
difficult issues.

our website at www.pendlehill.org
<blocked::blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>  or call (800) 742-3150,
ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).

******
Thank you!

Shirley Dodson
Director of Communications