[Sayma-Announce] Resident/Online course at Woolman Hill

Atlanta Friends Meeting afmquakers at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:42:51 EDT 2009

Woolman Hill Quaker Retreat Center (107 Keets Rd, Deerfield MA) and Quaker Studies (Adult Religious Educaton - Beacon Hill Friends House & Salem Quartrly Meetng NEYM) offer our first “HYBRID” course:

"Sabbath/Jubilee: Liberating Us All"
led by Viv Hawkins

Viv Hawkins will facilitate study, discussion, and experiential learning. She is a member of Evergreen Worship Group and Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting which supports her with a minute of religious service, endorsed by Philadelphia Quarterly and Yearly Meetings. The minute recognizes a ministry to foster spiritual and material right-sharing and promote theKindom of heaven on Earth. During more than 12 months in India, Viv witnessed both
extreme poverty and individuals, organizations, and systems which alleviate it, including partners of Right Sharing of World Resources. Viv completed the Spiritual Formation Program and The Way of Ministry program of School of the Spirit, and an MBA. She has worked for organizations as diverse as Women Helping Women, AT&T, The Nature Conservancy, and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and has led workshops at Pendle Hill, FGC Gathering, and with Friends Meetings and schools in the U.S. and India.

Program cost: $200.

To learn more about Woolman Hill: www.woolmanhill.org info at woolmanhill.org

To learn more about Quaker Studies: www.bhfh.org/qsp qsp at bhfh.org

In this learning community we will respond to Spirit's call today in a world with a growing divide between rich and poor. We will support each other in making lifestyle changes to more fully practice jubilee living and manifest God's Kindom on Earth. Scripture, Quaker writings, online resources, and life experiences will guide our study and practice of Sabbath, jubilee, and a sevenfold covenant developed by Bartimaeus Cooperative Ministries. Participants are encouraged to enroll with a member of your home meeting to foster mutual support and accountability.

This course combines a weekend retreat at Woolman Hill establishing community and exploring the concepts of Sabbath and Jubilee with 8 weeks of interactive on-line learning during which we will use an abundance of web-based resources (video, Powerpoint, text, etc.) to stimulate personal reflection and practical action.

Starting with a retreat at Woolman Hill - January 29-31, 2010

Continuing on-line with Quaker Studies through March 27, 2010

To download flyer and registration form: http://atlanta.quaker.org/downloads/Sabbath_Jubilee.pdf