[Sayma-Announce] Pendle Hill's Cary Lecture and new Resident Program

Shirley Dodson Shirley at pendlehill.org
Mon Feb 2 17:04:52 EST 2009

Dear Friend,

Here at Pendle Hill the snow from last week is melting as clouds move in
with the promise of more snow tonight.  Winter here is a good time for
reflection and focus on spiritual life - our winter Resident Program
term is dedicated to "Inward Exploration."  Beneath the snowy soil are
the seeds and bulbs that will produce flowers in profusion when the time
is right.

Below is our latest news from Pendle Hill to share in newsletters,
websites, and emailings to monthly and quarterly meeting members,
clerks, and newsletter editors.  Please let me know if more information
would be helpful or if you would like material in a different format.

With gratitude,
Shirley Dodson

****
Pendle Hill's 2009-2010 Resident Program Features New Three-Week
Intensive and Saturday Course

For years Friends have told Pendle Hill staff that they want to come for
a term or a year of the Resident Program, but can't leave their jobs or
families that long.  In response, Pendle Hill has developed two new
programs:

*
	a three-week intensive, "Faithful Transitions: Spiritual
Discernment in a Time of Change," taught by core teachers Marcelle
Martin, Carol Sexton, and Walter Hjelt Sullivan and scheduled for
January, 2010; and
*
	an all-day Saturday course, "Bringing our Lives to Life," with
Martha Kemper and Marcelle Martin, on five Saturdays in early 2010.

Each of the new programs may be taken independently of the full Resident
Program <http://www.pendlehill.org/for_prospective/courses.php>  or
included as part of a term or a year at Pendle Hill.  The Resident
Program is a non-degree-granting program which the core teachers
describe as "guided study, Spirit-led discernment, and community
support."  For more information email admissions at pendlehill.org
<mailto:admissions at pendlehill.org>  or visit the website:
www.pendlehill.org <http://www.pendlehill.org/> .

_____

Paul Lacey Presents Stephen G. Cary Lecture April 18 at Pendle Hill

"Privacy and Keeping Confidences: Some Moral Dilemmas" is the theme of
the third annual Stephen G. Cary Memorial Lecture Saturday, April 18,
2009  at 7:30 p.m. in the Barn at Pendle Hill.  Paul Lacey, clerk of the
board of the American Friends Service Committee, will speak.  The
lecture is free and open to the public.  The Bookstore will be open and
refreshments will be served prior to the lecture starting at 7:00 p.m.
Paul Lacey notes that knowing when and how to keep confidences is "a
perennial ethical issue." We value our privacy, but that privacy is
"under assault." Our personal computers harbor "cookies," information
available about our purchases and interests as consumers, but unknown to
us. Our government has gathered previously-confidential information
about individuals, in the name of Homeland Security. As members of
boards, teachers, and participants in religious communities, we take on
obligations to maintain confidences we receive in our daily work. But
there are also pressures against maintaining confidences, sometimes in
the name of loyalty to the government, sometimes out of a sense that
openness and transparency are values transcending respect for privacy.
Paul Lacey sees this topic as especially appropriate for a lecture
honoring Stephen Cary, whose many professional, volunteer, and personal
responsibilities would have placed him frequently in situations of
needing to weigh the competing claims of openness and keeping
confidences.

Born in 1915 to a Philadelphia Quaker family, Stephen G. Cary led a life
of spirit, courage, and action. A conscientious objector during World
War II, Steve co-led the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
effort to help rebuild Europe after the war. He served the AFSC for six
decades and participated in civil disobedience throughout his life. He
returned to his alma mater, Haverford College, as vice president and
interim president and played a major role in shaping the College's
identity as a coeducational institution faithful to Quaker values.
Through his peace work and leadership in Quaker education, Steve helped
shape the changes in Quaker thought in the twentieth century.

The Stephen G. Cary Memorial Lecture is supported by the Stephen G. Cary
Memorial Fund. The Fund was established in 2004 at Pendle Hill to make
possible the publication of a book of Steve Cary's writings: The
Intrepid Quaker: One Man's Quest for Peace, and to support other
activities held in Steve Cary's name. Each year the memorial lecture at
Pendle Hill addresses  a major peace issue facing Friends.

Pendle Hill, a Quaker center for study and contemplation, is located at
338 Plush Mill Road, Wallingford, PA.  For travel directions, visit
http://www.pendlehill.org/about/directions.php
<http://www.pendlehill.org/about/directions.php> .

****
For Calendars:

March 13-15 - Pendle Hill weekend, "Introducing Quaker Quest!" with
Elaine Crauderueff and Steve Chase.  1-800-742-3150.

April 10-12 - Pendle Hill Easter retreat, "Love Made Complete in Us,"
with Deborah Shaw.  1-800-742-3150.

April 19-23 - Pendle Hill short course, "Our Quaker and African American
Ancestors: What Can We Learn from Their Interactions?" with Vanessa
Julye and Donna McDaniel

April 24-26 - Pendle Hill Advanced Clerking Clinic with Arthur Larrabee

May 3-7 - Pendle Hill short course, "Mixed Blessings: The Legacy of
William Penn," with Paul Buckley

May 15-17 - Pendle Hill weekend, "Black Fire: Black Quakers on
Spirituality and Human Rights," with Hal Weaver and Stephen W. Angell

________________________________

For emailings and mailings to Clerks, Newsletter editors, etc.:
Conference
Do you believe that Quakerism is "a spiritual path for our time" and
want to share it?  Quaker Quest is a dynamic monthly-meeting-based
outreach program that has proven successful in engaging seekers in the
Quaker way across England for the past six years.  Learn to articulate
your faith and discover how meetings can experience new vitality and
build community.

Register online or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or
(610) 566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are
available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

March 27-29
Are We Still a Dangerous People?  Changing the World by Being a Changed
People
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0327b>
Pendle Hill weekend with Marge Abbott and Peggy Senger Parsons
Explore the spiritual qualities that once caused Quakers to be thrown in
prison and legislated against as a danger to the government.  This
weekend will consider how Friends can support each other and be patterns
in the world.

Register online
<outbind://30/pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=107
757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

April 10-12
Love Made Complete in Us
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0410>
Pendle Hill Easter Retreat with Deborah Shaw
Early Friends believed that dwelling in the Christ Spirit was the key to
unity with God, possible for everyone here and now.  This experiential
retreat will support personal response to the gift of Christ alive in
us.

Register online
<blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=
107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

April 19-23
Our Quaker and African American Ancestors: What Can We Learn from Their
Interactions?
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0419b>
Pendle Hill short course with Vanessa Julye and Donna McDaniel
Explore the often complex relationship between Quakers and African
Americans.  What can Friends learn about meeting attempts to "diversify"
and from the integration of Quaker schools?  How does the abandonment of
Reconstruction help explain racism today?  How does European American
culture impede Quaker outreach?

Register online
<blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=
107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

April 24-26
Advanced Clerking Clinic
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0424>
Pendle Hill weekend with Arthur Larrabee
In this practical interactive workshop, PYM General Secretary Arthur
Larrabee will focus on the experiences, issues, and questions raised in
advance by participants in their applications.  This weekend is designed
for those with extensive clerking experience or those who have taken a
basic clerking workshop and have some clerking experience.

Register online
<blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=
107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

May 3-7
Mixed Blessings: The Legacy of William Penn
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0503>
Pendle Hill short course with Paul Buckley
This course is an opportunity to get to know the man who saved Friends
from persecution, established a new Quaker homeland in North America,
and forever changed the Religious Society of Friends.

Register online
<blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=
107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).
_____

May 15-17
Black Fire: Black Quakers on Spirituality and Human Rights
<http://www.pendlehill.org/programs/spring_2009_course_workshop_retreat_
descriptions.php#0515a>
Pendle Hill weekend with Hal Weaver and Stephen W. Angell
Discover the rich legacy of such eminent Black Friends (and friends of
Friends) as Paul Cuffe, who led a Back-to-Africa movement for free
African Americans in the 18th century; Harlem Renaissance writer Jean
Toomer; sociologist Ira Reid; spiritual leader Howard Thurman;
lawyer-activist Mahala Ashley Dickerson; slave-narratives scholar
Charles Nichols; and civil rights activist Bayard Rustin.

Register online
<blocked::http://pendlehill.vervemail.net/vmff/vm_link.php?id=8410&m_id=
107757>  or via phone at (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610)
566-4507, ext. 3 (worldwide).  Matching scholarships are available.
For information on Pendle Hill and the other programs we offer, visit
our website at www.pendlehill.org <blocked::http://www.pendlehill.org/>
or call (800) 742-3150, ext. 3 (US only) or (610) 566-4507, ext. 3
(worldwide).

******

Shirley Dodson
Director of Communications
Pendle Hill
338 Plush Mill Road
Wallingford, PA 19086-6099
(800) 742-3150 or (610) 566-4507, x122
shirley at pendlehill.org
www.pendlehill.org <http://www.pendlehill.org/>

Pendle Hill is a center of God's work in transforming the world.  Pendle
Hill nurtures the life and witness of the Religious Society of Friends
(Quakers) through worship, work, study and service. We welcome those
from all spiritual paths.

 Join the Pendle Hill mailing list at:
www.pendlehill.org/contact/joinlist.php