[Sayma-Announce] Can you help? Introducing the 2011 Peacemakers Camp

Jonah McDonald jonahpmcd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 16:28:39 JEST 2010

Dear Friends,

I'm writing to tell you about and ask for your help on a project I'm working
on and am very excited about, our 2011 Peacemakers Camp for middle school
youth.  Can you help create a scholarship fund for the camp so we can accept
participants from all walks of life?

Can you also forward this email to your friends so they can also spread the
word about the Peacemakers Camp?

The Peacemakers Camp is a summer experience for middle schoolers who believe
in social justice, peace, and human rights. Led by myself and Marilyn
McGinnis (an Atlanta educator, activist, and parent), the camp is a space in
which 10-14 year olds can meet active peacemakers in various settings, and
then start to define their own beliefs and figure out ways they themselves
can make the world a better place.

Based on the U.N.’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the camp is also
a place to learn and have fun. For one week, we live with a community of
civil rights activists and peacemakers at Koinonia Partners in Americus, GA,
and visit many other peacemaking projects in the area: Habitat for
Humanity's Global VIllage, Cafe Campesino (a fair trade coffee roaster), an
organic farm and a hospitality house serving families of immigrant
detainees. All of this is interspersed with activities that exercise our
right to leisure, like swimming, outdoors adventures, and games.

Already, lots of people are supporting the Peacemakers Camp. The Open Door
Community in Atlanta is allowing us to use one of their vans to transport
campers. Koinonia Partners is offering hospitality for the week. Sure Foot
Adventures is donating some of the logistical support. Even Marilyn and I,
who serve as staff for the camp, are donating a good deal of our time
towards this cause.

As a result, we're able to keep the tuition low for this 6-day overnight
camp. And our goal is to be able to offer a full scholarship to every child
who demonstrates need.

Will you donate money towards a scholarship fund for the 2011 Peacemakers
Camp? We need 130 people to donate an average of $50 each and we'll have a
full scholarship fund.

Please forward this email to your friends and family who you think will be
excited about this project. And if you know any kids that want to change the
world, send them to our website. The more people we can connect with, the
better the camp will be!

Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship has agreed to be the fiscal sponsor of the
Peacemakers Camp Scholarship Fund, so your donation is fully tax deductible.

More information for donors is on the Camp website:
http://www.peacemakerscamp.org/donors

Checks should be written to "Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship" with "Peacemakers
Camp" in the memo line and mailed to:

Peacemakers Camp
P.O. Box 170488
Atlanta, GA 30317

We can also accept credit card payments here:
http://giving.mennoniteusa.org/project/detail/2862

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Jonah McDonald & Marilyn McGinnis