[Sayma-Announce] Information about the 12th Annual White Privilege Conference, April 13-16, 2011, Bloomington Minnesota

Liz Oppenheimer lizopp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:55:34 JEST 2011

Liz--

FGC and a few individual Friends are sharing the following information.
Given that some yearly meetings and monthly meetings have a working group or
other committee to look at the issue of racism and unearned privilege, we
wanted to be sure that SAYMA meetings knew about this opportunity.

Thanks so much for helping share the information.

Blessings,
Liz Oppenheimer

------------------------------------
2011 White Privilege Conference

*Date:* Apr 13, 2011 - Apr 16, 2011

*Location:* Bloomington, MN
*In 2010, nine Quakers attended the White Privilege Conference and took
advantage of a 5% discount on registration. Several of those Quakers
believed that the conference was so meaningful to them and could be so
worthwhile to other Friends and their meetings, that they began work on
bringing at least 60 Quakers to the WPC in 2011. Such a large group that
registers through FGC will qualify Friends for the following cost savings:

**ITEM* *REGULAR FEES* *FEES for FGC GROUP in 2011*  Conference
Registration $315

*$144 if 60 or more Friends*  All-day institutes $125
*$30 if 20 or more Friends*  Shabbat dinner $30
$30 non-negotiable
*
Providing a group discount for the 2011 White Privilege Conference (WPC 12)
is a service of Friends General Conference for members and attenders of
Quaker meetings and worship groups and of Friends churches.

To qualify for FGC's group discount, you MUST pre-register with FGC
first.<http://fgcquaker.org/cmr/wpc_preregistration_form>Once you
pre-register, you will be sent a discount code to be used in the
WPC registration.* If you register through WPC's website first, you will NOT
be eligible for the FGC discount.

*As of February 21, there are already 34 Friends who have pre-registered
through FGC for the White Privilege Conference.*

*CLICK HERE TO PRE-REGISTER
NOW:<http://fgcquaker.org/cmr/wpc_preregistration_form>
**
*

*http://www.fgcquaker.org/cmr/2011-white-privilege-conference
*

*
*

*Here are some highlights of the WPC:*

   - Daily plenary sessions and keynote speakers
   - Workshop sessions each day
   - Caucuses to debrief: White caucus; People of Color caucus; GLBTQ caucus
   - Films followed by discussion
   - Pre-conference all-day institutes and all-day institutes on the final
   day of the conference
   - Merchandise and books for sale, include steep discounts on DVDs

*In 2011, local Friends and FGC are sponsoring a Quaker hospitality
room*where Friends can take a break when needed, gather for worship,
or have a
Quaker caucus for worship sharing. *Donations to offset the cost of the room
will be welcome on-site.*

*In 2011, we hope to have local Friends provide overnight hospitality* to
out-of-state participants, as well as arrange for carpools to and from the
hotel each day.

*FAQs about the White Privilege Conference*

*1.  When and where is the WPC?  How do I get more information?*
This year's White Privilege Conference (WPC12) will be held near
Minneapolis, in Bloomington, Minnesota.  The regular conference is April
14-16, 2011 with some pre-conference institutes held the day before, on
April 13.

*2.  How is the WPC different from other workshops about anti-racism work?*
This conference looks at the flip side of racism:  the unearned privilege
that comes from being White and of being of European descent.  The WPC is
one of the few places where White people concerned about racism can look at
dismantling and demystifying White privilege by learning from other White
people.  As author Peggy McIntosh says, "Describing white privilege makes
one newly accountable."  People of color who also participate are there to
support us in our work, to be witnesses and allies, and to learn about and
undo their own internalized racism.

*3.  Is this a conference for White supremacists?*
No.  Instead, the WPC actively engages White people and people of color who
wish to dismantle a system that historically has given unfair advantage to
people whose skin is white.  The WPC also helps people of European descent
address internalized privilege and internalized superiority.

*4.  What does "White privilege" mean?*
White privilege has been defined as a system of unfair advantage based on the
color of a person's skin.  It is "unearned power conferred systemically"
(cf. Peggy McIntosh's Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack).  It is the "web of
institutional and cultural preferential treatment" that exempt White people
or people of European descent from racial oppression (cf. "What Is White
Privilege?" pdf from
cwsworkshop.org<http://www.cwsworkshop.org/pdfs/WIWP2/1WIWP.PDF>
)

*5.  I get uncomfortable talking about this stuff.  Why should I put myself
through it?*
Many White people get uncomfortable when talking about White privilege or
racism.  Being uncomfortable might indicate a readiness to learn more so
that we begin to see and understand the invisible forces, systems, and
mechanisms that have silently taught us to be uncomfortable, to not talk
about certain topics. To face our discomfort and put ourselves in
uncomfortable conversations about racism and privilege can be the beginning
of dismantling oppressive systems--systems that give some people advantages
and other people disadvantages based on skin color.

*6.  Is the conference going to make me feel guilty or ashamed of being
White?*
Everyone reacts differently to the conference.  For those Quakers who
attended as a group in 2010, we learned how to view the systems in play that
silently train White people and people of color to feel guilty, ashamed, or
afraid.  Many of us left the 2010 conference feeling empowered and better
equipped to be allies in our own communities and to speak up in our families
where unearned privilege plays out.  There are opportunities throughout the
conference to ask about what to do when guilt or shame creeps in.

*7.  I'm a person of color.  Can people of color attend the conference?*
Yes!  People of color are welcome to participate in the conference.  There
are opportunities for people of color to gather in their own caucus to
debrief; many presenters are people of color.  Attenders who are people of
color are integrated fully into the workshops and discussions.  In 2010,
there were more than 125 people of color, including Native Americans, Asian
Americans, and African Americans.

*8.  I feel clueless about White privilege.  Should I go to the conference
anyway? *
If you are curious and feeling open to learn, yes, consider coming to the
conference.  In the past, workshops were all identified as being beginning,
intermediate, or advanced.  But you don't have to participate only in one
"track."  Descriptions of workshops and institutes will be forthcoming.

*9.  Won't people of color be tokenized?  How are they integrated into the
conference? *
There's always a chance of anyone being tokenized or marginalized.  But
those of us who attended the 2010 conference experienced people of color as
full participants.  They asked questions, challenged other participants, led
workshops, delivered keynote addresses, showed films, led discussions, and
supported their fellow White conference participants.  The founder of the
conference, Eddie Moore, is an African American male, and he has openly
talked about the importance of continuing to draw on his experience and
leadership as an African American man.

*10.  Why is there a group of Quakers being organized for 2011?  Is this a
Quaker event; is FGC sponsoring the conference?*
The WPC is NOT a Quaker event, and FGC isn't a sponsor for WPC12.  But
Quakers are working with FGC to organize a larger group for the 2011
conference because of the tremendous positive impact the conference has had
on those Friends who have attended in the past.  In addition, because a
large group will receive a large discount for registration, it makes sense
to draw on FGC's infrastructure to get the word out about the conference and
the reduced registration rates. FGC commits itself to look at issues of race
and racism among Friends and to "transform our awareness so that our
corporate and individual attitudes and actions fully value and encompass the
blessed diversity of our human family." (Minute of Purpose 2009)

*For more information:*

Liz Oppenheimer
(612) 721-8010
lizopp at gmail.com