[Sayma-Announce] Fwd: World Conference of Friends

Liz Perch adminasst at sayma.org
Thu Feb 9 20:43:10 EST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	World Conference of Friends
Date: 	Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:27:02 -0500
From: 	Robin Mohr <robinm at fwccamericas.org>
To: 	adminasst at sayma.org <adminasst at sayma.org>

To Friends in Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting & Association,

Thank you for naming Friends from your yearly meeting as delegates to
the Sixth World Conference of Friends, to be held April 17-25, 2012 in
Nakuru, Kenya. This will be the most representative World Conference of
Friends ever. There are delegates registered from over 100 yearly
meetings and groups of Friends in 42 countries. Thank you for your
contribution of $4,600 to the Travel Fund.

The 6^th World Conference is not an FWCC business meeting like a
Triennial.  (Although there will be a little business, like appointing a
new General Secretary for the
FWCC<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccworld.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFZzhVRuPIJEh94AeeR1CH3vVHwnA>World
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccworld.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFZzhVRuPIJEh94AeeR1CH3vVHwnA><http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccworld.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFZzhVRuPIJEh94AeeR1CH3vVHwnA>Office
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccworld.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFZzhVRuPIJEh94AeeR1CH3vVHwnA>.
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccworld.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFZzhVRuPIJEh94AeeR1CH3vVHwnA>)
It is an opportunity for your delegates to bring their concerns and
leadings to the global Quaker table and to consider new possibilities
from Friends near and far.

All of the time, energy, and money that Friends are putting into the
World Conference is an investment in our spiritual lives and our
religious community. I think the message from the 6^th World Conference
of Friends has to energize the next generation of Friends and be
relevant to the wider world. *What kind of return are you expecting on
the investment you are making in your delegates?*

If you have questions or hear questions about the Conference, there are
many resources for delegates:

1.*The World Conference website*. It contains lots of basic information,
including pictures of the campus and suggestions for preparation. Check
here first for any questions:<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>www
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>.
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>saltandlight
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>2012.
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>org <http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>.

2.*The World Office of FWCC*. The Conference is being organized by many
Friends around the world. The staff in London is central to the
planning. You can send questions to _registrations at saltandlight2012.org_.

3.*The Section
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ><http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ>of
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ>
the
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ><http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ>Americas
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwccamericas.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVNijM38rcA9k8PL39zZf7AFteHQ>
office*. We are happy to try to answer or find answers to your
questions. But we can not and will not override decisions made by the
World Office or the International Planning Committee.

Can you find a way to help your delegates stay in touch with the other
Friends who are going from your area? In some yearly meetings, all the
people who are going, both delegates named by the Yearly Meeting and
those who applied for open places, and the Friends who are supporting
them, are meeting to prepare before the conference. Encourage your
delegates to ask for a prayer circle or support committee now. Would an
email group be helpful? Who in your Yearly Meeting could set one up?

Consider how the Yearly Meeting can support them when they first get
back. Help them to be aware of culture shock both when traveling and
upon returning home. The World Office has included some Cultural
Sensitivity tips in
the<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/essential2.html>Essential<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/essential2.html>Information
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/essential2.html>#2
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/essential2.html> that was sent to
everyone who has registered. Are there Friends in your yearly meeting
who have already been to FWCC events or to Kenya who could be available
to talk about their experience?  Remind your delegates to plan for some
time to rest, reflect and recover from their travels when they get back.

Plan now for how you want them to report back. Set some time on the
agenda at your yearly meeting sessions. Ask them to talk to the young
Friends or Junior Yearly Meeting, the United Society of Friends Women,
mission board, or other groups. Tell them what Friends would like to
hear when they get home. Should they take notes? Should they take
pictures? How will they know what was important from the Conference that
is relevant to your community? During the Conference, they will have a
chance to practice so they'll be ready to speak when they get back.

Delegates have been encouraged to notify the local or regional media
that they're going to Kenya to represent local Quakers at an
international gathering and that they are willing to be interviewed when
they get back. Can you help them draft a press release to tell their
story to their local newspapers or radio stations? When you do, please
copy me on your email or send me a copy of your press release and any
articles that get written.

One element of the Conference will be discernment on the Global Change
<http://fwccglobalchange.org/><http://fwccglobalchange.org/>Consultation
<http://fwccglobalchange.org/>. The World Office still needs funds to
help pay for the translation of the cluster reports, so if you feel led
to contribute to that, even in small amounts, that would be very
helpful. For more information, visit the website at
www.fwccglobalchange.org <http://www.fwccglobalchange.org/>.

In the past year and a half, the Section of the Americas has been
sponsoring local gatherings on the theme of the Conference, "Being Salt
and Light: Friends Living the Kingdom of God in a Broken World." If
you'd still like to consider the theme this spring, any Friend can start
a study group in their church or meeting using
the<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/materials.html>study<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/materials.html>booklet
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/materials.html> or join
an<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/course.html>online
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/course.html> study
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/course.html><http://www.saltandlight2012.org/course.html>circle
<http://www.saltandlight2012.org/course.html> with Friends from around
the world. Both can be found through the Conference website,
www.saltandlight2012.org <http://www.saltandlight2012.org/>.

After the Conference, the Section of the Americas will continue
organizing local gatherings on a new theme, depending on what message
comes out of the World Conference. If you'd like to be one of the first
Yearly Meetings to host a gathering on the "New Light" theme, whatever
it turns out to be, let
<mailto:louises at fwccamericas.org><mailto:louises at fwccamericas.org>us<mailto:louises at fwccamericas.org>know
<mailto:louises at fwccamericas.org>. If you need time to think about it,
we will send you more information as we go along.

The Holy Spirit will be with us as we gather and with those who stay
home. As Paul wrote to the Corinthians, the variety of gifts of the Holy
Spirit is wonderful: wise counsel, clear understanding, simple trust,
healing the sick, miraculous acts,  proclamation, distinguishing between
spirits, tongues, and interpretation of tongues. Probably we'll need all
of these as we gather. Please pray for our work together. Remember the
gifts of the Holy Spirit are given not just for the individual but for
their monthly meeting or church, their local community, your Quarterly
or Area Meetings, your Yearly Meeting and the Religious Society of
Friends. *How will you hold them accountable for sharing the gifts of
the Holy Spirit that they will receive from this conference with you?*

If you have any questions about FWCC or the World Conference, please let
me know!

In friendship,

Robin Mohr

Executive Secretary //

P.S. In other FWCC news, shortly after the Conference, the teens on the
2012 Quaker
<http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml><http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml>Youth
<http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml><http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml>Pilgrimage
<http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml><http://fwccamericas.org/about_us/programs/youth.shtml>will
be heading off to England, Belgium and the Netherlands. After that,
we'll be developing a new Pilgrimage experience in South America for
2014 or 2015. Stay tuned for more news.

Did you know that the searchable directory of Quaker pamphlets at www
<http://www.voicesoffriends.org>.
<http://www.voicesoffriends.org>voicesoffriends
<http://www.voicesoffriends.org>. <http://www.voicesoffriends.org>org
<http://www.voicesoffriends.org> is available to use with your outreach
efforts and local study groups, for adults and youth?

Robin Mohr

Executive Secretary/Secretaria Ejecutiva

Friends World Committee for Consultation-Section of the Americas

Comité Mundial de Consulta de los Amigos-Sección de las Américas

1506 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102

www.fwccamericas.org <http://www.fwccamericas.org/>

215-241-7157

//Connecting Friends, Crossing Cultures, Changing Lives//

//Vincula a los Amigos, Sobrepasa Barreras Culturales, Cambia Vidas//