[Sayma-Announce] News from Christina VanRegenmorter, FGC Rep for SAYMA

Christina VanRegenmorter Christina.VanRegenmorter at centerstone.org
Thu Aug 28 11:31:14 EDT 2014

Dear SAYMA Friends,

As your FGC representative, I wanted to let you know about a couple of things from Friends General Conference!

1.       The Annual Gathering of Friends was a spirit-filled time. This year, the main speakers were videotaped, and you can watch & learn more at this link: annual Gathering of Friends, held this year in California, Pennsylvania. The theme of this year's Gathering was Let Love Be the First Motion, a touchstone that manifested throughout the week in Friends' attention to contemporary social issues like mountaintop removal, mass incarceration, and challenging oppression both within and outside of our faith community.

2.       The Annual Gathering of Friends for 2015 will be in NORTH CAROLINA (!!!) - our SAYMA homeground. I hope you will join me, my wife Jessica, our daughter Evelyn (22 months old) for a week with thousands of other Quakers learning, worshiping, and playing together in North Carolina.

3.       The FGC bookstore is gearing up to launch a completely-rebuilt QuakerBooks.org, with improved browsing, convenient checkouts, and easier downloads.  For decades, QuakerBooks.org<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsGeneralConfer/2500025bb2/60a400cc38/1c5c8ae88d/utm_content=003A000000stGOIIA2&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=QuakerBooks%2Eorg&utm_campaign=Vital%20Friends%3A%20FGC%20eNewsletter> has been a primary source for books on Quaker history, Quaker process, spirituality, peace and social concerns, and religious education.  The website will provide easy search and browsing, a more convenient checkout process, and painless downloads of many more ebooks than ever before! Click here to Sign up for the QuakerBooks eNewsletter to get notified of the launch >><http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsGeneralConfer/2500025bb2/60a400cc38/14edbe5ffd/utm_content=003A000000stGOIIA2&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Sign%20up%20for%20the%20QuakerBooks%20eNewsletter%20to%20get%20notified%20of%20the%20launch%20%26gt%3B%26gt%3B&utm_campaign=Vital%20Friends%3A%20FGC%20eNewsletter>

4.       FGC organized a panel of Adult Young Friends to answer the commonly-asked question Why is everyone in our meeting over 50?  Watch the engaging discussion about outreach, technology, and the future of Quakerism.  Of course, in Nashville Meeting, where the age "mode" is currently biggest for our kids between 18-36 months old, this is currently not my reality. :) However, I know it is a concern for many of our Meetings in SAYMA and beyond.

5.       The QuakerCloud (hosting Meeting websites) is going strong.  Is your Meeting on the Cloud?  I know mine is!

Central Committee (the big annual board meeting) of FGC is in October. Please let me know if you or your meetings have any concerns you want me to share - or any requests.

With love & in hopes of seeing you all next summer at Yearly Meeting,

Christina

Christina VanRegenmorter
SAYMA FGC Representative
FGC Central Committee Assistant Recording Clerk
(c) 615-934-4589
vanregenmorterc at yahoo.com<mailto:vanregenmorterc at yahoo.com>

The information contained in this Email message is private and confidential. It may contain Protected Health Information deemed confidential by HIPAA regulations. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above, and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this information having been sent by Email. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this the information contained in this communication is strictly prohibited by anyone except the named individual or that person's agent. If you have received this Email in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this Email. Thank You.