[Sayma-Announce] John Calvi at Gainesville (FL) meeting

Liz Dykes adminasst at sayma.org
Wed Dec 23 09:44:44 EST 2015

Gainesville Quaker Meeting (Religious Society of Friends) offers:
A weekend with John Calvi

February 5-6-7, 2016

All gatherings are held at the Gainesville Friends Meeting House

702 NW 38th Street, Gainesville, FL

Suggested donation for Friday night is $10, for Saturday is $30-35 to
cover our expenses. Of course, everyone is welcome, regardless of the
amount of donation. Gatherings are for adults and youth no younger than
high school, please.

Friday February 5, 7:00 PM Please arrive by 6:45 pm Update on QUIT
(Quaker Initiative to End Torture)

The Quaker Initiative to End Torture — QUIT! John Calvi will offer an
update on the current status of American torture. John is the founding
convener of QUIT! He will present an hour program covering a brief
history of American torture and recent events. The worst, most gruesome
stories will not be told, but this is not an event for children. There
will be plenty of time for Q & A. Suggested donation $10.00

Saturday February 6, 9 AM to 4 PM
John Calvi presents the Goodness workshop

John Calvi presents the Goodness workshop, a study on healing and deeper
spiritual life. We will learn simple laying-on-of-hands and a bit of
Quaker history to go with it. We will make a private life chart to see
where our own goodness is obvious and secure. This will be deeply
relaxing, very little sharing will be asked of you. And you will want a
long wonderful nap later.

Suggested donation $30-35 dollars to cover our costs.

Please arrive by 8:45 AM Coffee, tea, and other drinks will be available
all day.

A simple lunch of soup and sandwich-makings will be provided.

Registration is Required for Saturday Goodness Workshop. Please register
no later than January 23 by sending an email to Bonnie Zimmer at
bzandtj at gmail.com indicating your name, address, phone number, and email
address. You will get a return e- mail confirmation. Friendly
hospitality is available by contacting Sandy Lyon by email
(swl25 at cornell.edu) or by phone at (386) 984-7563.

Sunday, February 7, 2016
Meeting for Worship, 11:00 AM in the Meeting House. Forum: 1:00 PM
Readings from John's Book

Pot Luck after announcements and rise of Meeting All workshop
participants invited.

John Calvi has been working with people surviving traumatic experience
since 1982. A certified massage therapist, John began this work with
women survivors of sexual abuse and then in the AIDS epidemic. Later, he
worked with inmates, tortured refugees, ritual abuse survivors, addicts,
and hospice. John’s spiritual gift as a Quaker healer is the release of
physical and emotional pain following trauma, not healing of the disease
process. He will be doing some individual work on Saturday during the
workshop as a donation to participants.

Making 24 trips each year to teach, John has taught in four countries,
five prisons, and ten yearly meetings. Many of his workshops are
attended by health care professionals and clergy working in crisis where
pain is abundant and resources too few. (www.johncalvi.com)

John is a frequent workshop leader at Pendle Hill; has served as keynote
speaker at Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns and several Yearly
Meetings (including SEYM in 1992); and has offered workshops and given
the closing plenary at FGC. He is the author of The Dance Between Hope
and Fear*. This book is not a how-to-do-healing book, but a mosaic of
written pieces and speeches John set down for over thirty years in order
to understand himself, his healing work, the elements spiritual honesty,
and giving over to Divine leadings.” (www.amazon.com) He is passionate
about his latest work as organizer of Quaker Initiative to End
Torture—QUIT. He lives in Putney, VT, with his husband, Marshall Brewer.

Calvi poster

--
Liz Dykes
SAYMA Administrative Assistant