[Sayma-Discuss] QUIT -Action request

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Wed Jul 18 14:32:56 EDT 2007

John  Calvi
calvij at sover.net
802/387-4789
PO Box 301
Putney VT 05346  USA
www.johncalvi.com
www.quit-torture-now.org

------ Forwarded  Message
From: National Religious Campaign Against Torture  <nrcatlist at nrcat.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:35:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: calvij at sover.net
Subject: Immediate Action needed on the Habeas  Amendment

Immediate  Action Needed on the Habeas  Amendment

Dear  NRCAT Supporter:  Today or tomorrow, the Senate is expected to vote on
an  amendment to restore the most basic human right to U.S. detainees - the
right to  go before a court and ask the government to show that they have a
basis for  their detention. The right of habeas corpus gives our federal courts
the  opportunity to discover and address U.S.-sponsored acts of torture upon
detainees. This right was stripped from the federal courts when Congress  passed
and the President signed into law the Military Commissions Act last year.
You can help change this.  Please contact your Senators today  (Capitol
Switchboard 202-224-2131) and urge them to vote  "YES" on the  Specter-Leahy Amendment
to the Department of Defense Authorization bill.  60 votes are needed in the
Senate to pass the amendment. The following  Senators have not announced which
way they plan to vote:  Sen. Joe  Lieberman (I-CT)
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE)
Sen. Chuck Hagel  (R-NE)
Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN)
Sen. Larry Craig  (R-ID)
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME)
Sen. Olympia Snowe  (R-ME)
Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN)
Sen. George Voinavich  (R-OH)
Sen. John Sununu (R-NH)
Sen. Mary Landrieu  (D-LA)
Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR)  Please contact your Senators --  whether they are
on this list or not -- immediately and urge them to vote "YES"  on the
Specter-Leahy Amendment to the Department of Defense Authorization bill.  After your
calls, please help NRCAT by completing our online report form
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UJTCNL45zvQzHJVwTv3ooJx7QdpvVYS4>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UJTCNL45zvQzHJVwTv3ooJx7QdpvV
YS4)   . A report that you called and a description of anything noteworthy
about the  call is always helpful to NRCAT as we work together.  Thank you for
all you  do to end U.S.-sponsored torture.  Sincerely,  Linda and Rich  Linda
Gustitus, President, Board of Directors, National Religious Campaign  Against
Torture (NRCAT)
Rev.  Richard Killmer, Executive Director, NRCAT  P.S. You might find these
two editorials helpful:

"Terrorism and  the Law: In Washington, a Need to Right Wrongs
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9J6dQ3jUSfszHHYVJVUbmZx7QdpvVYS4>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9J6dQ3jUSfszHHYVJVUbmZx7Qdp
vVYS4)   " New York Times, 7/15/07.
"Bring Back The Rule Of Law
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FS%2BCPu05VhQIfwhw8I5jqpx7QdpvVYS4>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FS+CPu05VhQIfwhw8I5jqpx7QdpvVYS4)   " Hartford Courant,
7/18/07.

You have received this message because you endorsed  the "Torture is a Moral
Issue" statement of the National Religous Campaign  Against Torture, took
action through the NRCAT website, or signed up to receive  more information from
NRCAT.  If you no longer wish to receive emails  from the National Religious
Campaign Against Torture, please click here
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dUItWfZ71xWlFuYwTd9z8px7QdpvVYS4>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dUItWfZ71xWlFuYwTd9z8px7QdpvVYS4)   to change
your subscription setting.  National Religious Campaign  Against Torture:
www.tortureisamoralissue.org _<http://www.democracyinactio
n.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=G0g79H74fXVwCAwEr9TuWZx7QdpvVYS4>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=G0g79H74fXVwCAwEr9TuWZx7QdpvVYS4)   - New Web Address

------ End  of Forwarded Message