[Sayma-Discuss] Our news media options

licciardelloj at bellsouth.net licciardelloj at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 27 21:18:26 EDT 2007

In reference to a general e-mailing received from Free Polazzo - Free was quite unhappy with NPR.
Despite it being "Public radio", Free wrote that NPR failed him as an unbiased news distribution service.  This resonated with me and reminded me of what  Mr. Chuck Fager had related at a teaching session at 2006 SAYMA Yearly Meeting.  My eyes were not opened,  but I was jarred a bit.

Since beginning to listen more intently to LinkTV, I am learning more, much more about our news media, its predilections, and the cleansing effects that come from listening to Link TV as well.

Unfortunately, to pick up the entire schedule of programs, one must subscribe to satellite
TV for Link TV. The channel is not carried anywhere on cable TV.

One might find a local station which carries the news program "Democracy Now!" with Amy Goodman as the newscaster.  I do enjoy the other programming provided.

Free has asked me to send out a general mailing, and this is my response to Mr. Polazzo.

Would it be worth a person switching to satellite as an individual?
Would it be a worthy alternative should a given monthly meeting elect to
foot the bill to subscribe to satellite TV (e.g. DirecTV)?  Are the costs excessive given the
payoff?

to: Free Polazzo:
"Free, Vote with your feet.  NPR is what it is.  Even if you can't get satellite (DirecTV ) overnight, somehow or other watch LinkTV for a refreshing change.  These broadcasters are a true public TV devoid of all corporate sponsorship.  Only the Heritage Foundation, if you accept that as reasonably unbiased. Amy Goodman reading the news ("Democracy Now"). Mosaic news from mideast.  European News.  A real good mishmosh. The biased news programs from abroad are seen for what they are, and since they are on opposite sides of each other, the individual national biases seem to cancel out.  Many good features. Great international music.  Quite addicting.  All other TV seems juvenile. In the meantime, good luck to you.
In Peace

Jere