[Sayma-Discuss] Fw: Our news media options

Elizabeth Eames roeblingelizabeth at msn.com
Sat Jul 28 17:22:20 EDT 2007

Dear Friends - as someone who has moved offshore, outside the Empire, I am
glad to see that Friends are having this discussion. When I lived in the
States, I did have link TV and adored it- found that the BBC news coverage
was much better in global content than anything else. I have always been a
big "fan" of Democracy Now but now must question any claim that they have to
"objective" news delivery because their coverage of Haiti is so completely
biased to Aristide supporters.

Here in the Dominican Republic, I watch DW out of Germany with their English
coverage, TV5 from France (but in French) and news from Spain, Chile, the
DR, and Venezuela (which alas, it no longer news).

I, too, would recommend the Internet as a news source. From the
"blogosphere" you can find many on the ground reports from other alternative
news sources, such as InterPress Service, for whom I write.

I, for one, would not recommend using Meeting funds for the suppling of news
sources as it is not a directly spiritual concern.

Thanks for the discussion

Elizabeth Eames Roebling
Asheville Friends Meeting

from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic