[Sayma-Discuss] Bush Executive Order: Assets of Iraq War OpponentsMay be Seized

licciardelloj at bellsouth.net licciardelloj at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 28 23:24:12 EDT 2007

(1) When I speak for the Quaker-aligned leading to seek that circumstance
"that takes away the occasion for all wars," I do so as a member of the
Society of Friends.
(2)I stand side-by-side with my religious colleagues as a member in good
standing of the Religious Society of Friends.
(3)I cannot attest to any particular individual bravery, it not having been
tested.

(4) And I resonate wioth the words of Paul Craig Roberts:
            "Americans think their danger is terrorists," said Roberts.
             "They don't understand the terrorists cannot take away
                    -habeas corpus,
                    -the Bill of Rights,
                    -the Constitution.
... The terrorists are not anything like the threat that we face to the Bill
of Rights and the Constitution from our own government in the name of
fighting terrorism.

Americans just aren't able to perceive that."

I will not be stampeded, because Quakers will stand fast.
I am sure we will find ways to alert our brethren to the dangers in
non-participation in the discussion.
But given that one way to interpret the executive order would be that
inasmuch as we all, everyone I know, supports our troops abroad,
And given that certain military actions could place out troops in undue
jeopardy,
No Quaker in good standing would act in such a manner so as to destabilize
the Iraqi or any other situation where our forces are in harms way.
The Executive order described as...
Executive Order: Blocking Property of Certain Persons Who Threaten
Stabilization Efforts in Iraq

        White House News

      Message to the Congress of the United States Regarding International
Emergency Economic Powers Act

....Could be seen as a political action of no concrete import, but with the
intent of badgering peaceful people into a non-peaceful response.

It succeeds if we stop communicating and gathering for purposes of religious
discernment and fellowship.  Freedom of Religion is perhaps the most
important issue here.  When we give up this freedom, tyranny will result.
And Freedom of Religion isn't taken from me, I would need to surrender this,
and I have no intention of doing this.

In Peace

Jere