[Sayma-Discuss] FactCheck.Org - Annenberg Political Fact Check

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Sun May 27 22:29:44 EDT 2007

Friends,

I encourage you to visit and share with others this website, which I learned about Saturday morning on NPR's Weekend Edition: http://factcheck.org/

Here is a description from their About page:

"We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics.

"We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

"The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania."

You may also wish to look at the NPR online article:

Bunk Busters Unravel the Art of Spin http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10416827
 - NPR Weekend Edition (5/26/07): Authors Brooks Jackson and Kathleen Hall Jamieson, creators of FactCheck.org, offer readers a crash course in detecting and decoding spin.

In addition, here is the link for the authors' recent book:

UnSpun: Finding Facts in a World of Disinformation
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Publications.aspx
 - by Brooks Jackson and Kathleen Hall Jamieson

All of this information is also posted on "What's NEW?" on the SEYMpeace.org website at http://seympeace.org/index.html#NEW

Thank you,
Michael