[Sayma-Discuss] From John Calvi

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Nov 1 12:40:21 EDT 2007

A vital ministry among  Friends....John Calvi's annual letter....

John Calvi’s Year-End Letter  2007

Dear Friends,

I write this while preparing  for my last few trips of this year and
remembering  trips over the last 25  years.  The numbers surprise even me - 35 states,
4 countries, 5 prisons,  11 yearly meetings, 21 years teaching at Friends
General Conference Gathering  and Pendle Hill, with innumerable rape survivors,
people with AIDS, and tortured  refugees from every continent, an average of 24
trips a year, and working with  as many as 2,000 people a year.  At 55, I can
look over my 2007 calendar  and smile.  But looking over all my travel
calendars, I feel the need to  sit down. My 2008 sabbatical comes just in time.

Three years ago I  began to discuss the need for Quakers to take on the work
of ending US-sponsored  torture.  In addition to all my travel work on trauma,
I helped give birth  to The Quaker Initiative to End Torture, which has now
held 1 Canadian and 2  U.S. conferences and continues to grow.

I feel great  accomplishment in all these years of healing work.  I’ve worked
very hard  and surrendered my life to learning and healing.  It’s not been
easy - and  goodness knows I am a reluctant student - but I am very happy with
both the  personal history of work and where I have come to be.

To  accomplish all my leadings in the last few years I developed some very
unhealthy  habits - 15 hours a day of computer work and learning all I could
about torture  to teach articulately and gently.  This was a productive choice
that  achieved much but took a toll on me. To recover, my sabbatical begins on
Thanksgiving 2007 and goes to January 2009- no teaching or hands-on work
during  this time.

Beginning  my sabbatical starts with changing  patterns of overwork and desk
time until my blood pressure and weight are  lowered to healthy rates.  I’ll
be doing physical work such as painting the  house.  I am even going to stay
out of contact with dear ones I’ve been  working with a long time, a difficult
but necessary discipline. I am doing all  this so that my next 25 years of work
will be even more  graceful.

Please be assured there is no illness, burnout, or sudden  financial ease
leading to this sabbatical.  I am not ill. Burnout is when  you can no longer do
your best.  My work is still graceful, deeply  appreciated, and much in
demand. And sudden wealth does not appear to be a  threat in this lifetime.  This is
simply a celebration of 25 years of  trauma work, rest and rebalancing, and
choosing how to begin again in  2009.

I hope you will support my rest with gifts during this  sabbatical.  My
living has come mostly from gifts.  I’ve been able to  be of help to people
surviving trauma because of the generosity of many over the  years.  Thank you for
your gifts at this time too.

In the  Light,

John Calvi  November 2007

PO Box 301 Putney VT  05346-0301  www.johncalvi.com
_<http://www.johncalvi.com/>_ (http://www.johncalvi.com/)

John Calvi’s Calendar
2007 Completed
Jaunary 14  Putney  Friends Meeting The Quaker Initiative to End Torture QUIT
Update Putney,  VT
February 2-4  Eugene Friends Meeting Annual Winter Retreat, Eugene,  OR
February 5 Dragonfly Adventures  Stress Reduction with students
dragonflyadventures.com Klamath Falls, OR
February 5   Klamath  Falls Friends Church QUIT Update  Klamath Falls, OR
March 5-9  Pendle Hill Rest the Body, Live in the Light 800/742-3150
www.pendlehill.org _<http://www.pendlehill.org/>_ (http://www.pendlehill.org/)
Wallingford, PA
March 15  Friends World Committee for Consultation  QUIT update annual
meeting Providence, RI
March 21-23  University  Friends Meeting  Healing Circle & Friends in Need
Seattle,  WA
March 30- April 1   St Louis Friends Meeting – Bringing Light to  Pain & QUIT
Update  ST Louis, MO
April 27-29  Canadian QUIT  Torture Conference Ottawa Friends Meeting Ottawa,
ONT
June 1-3  The  Quaker Initiative to End Torture 2nd Conference
www.quit-torture-now.org _<http://www.quit-torture-now.org/>_
(http://www.quit-torture-now.org/)   Greensboro, NC
June 9  Helping my dear friend Gene Garber to die at home  surrounded with
love   Putney, VT
June 11  CONTACT: Conflict  Transformation Across Cultures, School for
International  Training
www.sit.edu/contact/index.html _<http://www.sit.edu/contact/index.html>_
(http://www.sit.edu/contact/index.html)    Brattleboro, VT
June 17  15th St Meetinghouse  The Quaker Initiative to End Torture New York,
NY
June 30- July 7  Friends General Conference, Abandon All Weariness Workshop,
QUIT Update,
www.fgcquaker.org _<http://www.fgcquaker.org/>_ (http://www.fgcquaker.org/)
River Falls, WI
July 12-15  VT People with AIDS Annual Retreat-  workshops & moderator,
Stowe, VT
September 28-30  Missouri Valley  Friends Conference,  Healing Among Friends,
Camp Chihowa Lawrence,  KS
October 1  Attended and assisted a birth for my first time,  welcome Sungmin
Ahn Memorial Hospital Brattleboro, VT
October 12-13  Quaker Hill Conf & Retreat Center Midwest Healers Group
765/939-4970 Richmond, IN
November 2-4  Powell House  Deeply Relax-  massage and energy work for
spiritual depth  Old Chatham, NY
November  14-15  Dragonfly Adventures  Staff & Student Stress Reduction
Klamath Falls, OR
November 16-18   Abandon All Weariness,  Quaker Center wwwquakercenter.org
Ben Lomond, CA

2008  SABBATICAL

2009
February 20 – 22  Powell House  The Body as Temple for Spiritual Work  Old
Chatham, NY
May 1-3  Woolman Hill  Spiritual Disciplines for Healing www.woolman.org
Deerfield, MA
May 29-31  Pendle Hill Restoration with healing touch  Wallingford, PA
June 27-July 4  Friends General Conference  Workshops  Blacksburg VA
July 15-19  North Pacific Yearly Meeting  Keynote & Friend in Residence
Missoula, MT
August 3-5  New  England Yearly Meeting workshops  Smithfield RI

Please send a  gift to my address below.
I will need your gifts during sabbatical to rest  and prepare for another 25
years.
Definitions- tax law says a donation  carries the expectation of work for
which I am taxed.
A gift is given  out of respect, affection, or charity, such as
my birthday- May 14, my  wedding anniversary- August 28, or a Christmas gift.

calendar, and  photos  AT WWW.JOHNCALVI.COM _<http://WWW.JOHNCALVI.COM/>_
(http://www.johncalvi.com/)   (watch for new blog)
My website carries updates, photos, and a new blog  soon thanks to Blake
Arnall & Sehoon Ahn.

Please help me save  mailing costs by sending your e-mail address to
calvij at sover.net _<mailto:calvij at sover.net>_ (mailto:calvij at sover.net)  .
The next Beethoven Letter in May 2008 will be in  email.

PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I AM DIFFICULT TO CONTACT DURING  SABBATICAL, IT’S
INTENTIONAL.

PO Box 301 Putney VT 05346  www.johncalvi.com _<http://www.johncalvi.com/>_
(http://www.johncalvi.com/)