[Sayma-Discuss] Fw: Informed Comment Global Affairs : Iran War Rollout Starts: Link to Iraq Troop...

Steve Livingston nc-stereoman at mail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:55:40 EDT 2007

 It's worth noting that this is not the first time the Bush
Administration has rolled out the Noise Machine to trump up allegations
against Iran. it isn't even the first time this year. Recall that early
in the year, the Administration's attempts to link Iran to sophisitcated
weapons "captured" in Iraq were greeted with what one pundit termed
"howls of derision". After several weeks of relentless spinning and
pointing, the Administration gave up on what I believe to have been the
Vice President's first foiled foreign policy initiative.

Circumstances are different now. Americans are even more tired of the
Iraq War, and much more aware of the tenuous condition of our military
forces. The IAEA reports that Iran is cooperating with inspectors, and
that their nuclear technology is not nearly as advanced as they had led
the world to believe, and certainly not as advanced as the Israelis would
like the world to think (Israeli intellingence reported in 2003 that Iran
would have a nuclear weapon by the end of 2007; the IAEA just reported
that they will not even have fissionable material for at least another
two years). The Republican Party, crippled by scandal and years of
wrongheaded policy, can ill afford to suggest another debacle at this
juncture.

There are many good reasons to hope that the current bellicose rhetoric
will be no more effective than the previous round of noisemaking.

Back in September of 2001, the Congress, cowed by a powerful and popular
Administration and frightened by the 9/11 attacks, passed legislation
giving the Administration carte blanche to launch military aggression
against any nation identified as harboring or aiding terrorists. I know
that not all of us Quakers believe in political activism, but that should
not deter those of us who do from petitioning our elected representatives
to overturn this foolhardy legislation. At the same time, an action that
I find valuable is to pray for peace. I know that not all of us Quakers
believe in the efficacy of such prayer, but that should not deter those
of us who do. I encourage you to pray alone, pray together, and let your
words and life bear witness to your prayers.

Steve

--
We've Got Your Name @ www.mail.com!!!