[Sayma-Discuss] School of the Americas

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 15:26:31 EDT 2007

John  Calvi
calvij at sover.net
802/387-4789
PO Box 301
Putney VT 05346  USA
www.johncalvi.com
www.quit-torture-now.org

------ Forwarded  Message
From: School of the Americas Watch  <info at soaw.org>
Date: Tue, 18  Sep 2007 11:31:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: calvij at sover.net
Subject: Take a Stand for Human Rights! Nov. 15-18,  2007

School of the Americas Watch

www.SOAW.org
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Fnew%2F>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=1&url=http://www.soaw.org/new/)   |
202-234-3440 | Click to subscribe
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoaw.live.radic
aldesigns.org%2Fmodinput4.php%3Fmodin%3D52>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=2&url=http://soaw.live.radicaldesigns.org/modinput4.php?mod
in=52)  September 18, 2007

Take a Stand  for Justice and Human Rights! Thanks to your energy, passion
and  support, 2007 has been an incredible year for the movement to close the
SOA/WHINSEC. In April, Costa Rican president Oscar Arias announced that Costa
Rica would no longer send police to receive training at the SOA/WHINSEC after
citing its historical ties to oppressive regimes and human rights abuses.
Thanks  to your amazing work during our Lobby Days and the April Fast, we came
very  close to a major victory in the House of Representatives that would have
cut  funding for the WHINSEC. A few weeks later, and as a result of your
pressure on  Congress, the House of Representatives approved a report for the FY 2008
Defense  Appropriations bill that demands the Western Hemisphere Institute
for Security  Cooperation (SOA/WHINSEC) release to the public the names of all
students and  instructors who attended the school during the fiscal years of
2005, 2006 and  all future fiscal years!

On the  weekend of November 15-18 we want to celebrate these victories with
you!

We need your presence  and your energy to show the world that as a movement
of peace we are not backing  down until we close this School of Shame and
change oppressive U.S. foreign  policy!

Add your voice to the voices of thousands of human rights  advocates,
students, musicians, community leaders, religious workers,  grandmothers, and labor
organizers from around the world to say: NORTH AND  SOUTH, THE PEOPLE SAY,
CLOSE THE SOA!

Activities surrounding the  weekend Vigil will begin on Thursday November 15
with a prisoners of conscience  gathering and a benefit concert in Atlanta, GA.

Click on the following  links to find more information about the November
15-18 Vigil to Close the  SOA/WHINSEC:

- Find out more about the 2007 NOVEMBER VIGIL
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Fnew%2
Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1295>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=3&url=http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=1295)

- Check out the VIGIL SCHEDULE
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1
580>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=4&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?id=1580)   for the weekend, it will
continue to be updated in the coming weeks with  more events

- WHAT TO EXPECT
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1095>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=5&url=http://soaw.or
g/article.php?id=1095)   at Fort Benning this November

- MAKE A DONATION
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Fnew%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D546>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=6&url=http
://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=546)   to support the Vigil

START PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO COLUMBUS  NOW!

- Always plan ahead; read our suggestions on TRAVELING TO  COLUMBUS, GA
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=7&url=http%3A
%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1000>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=7&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?i
d=1000)

- Download or order a copy of the NOVEMBER ORGANIZING PACKET
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.s
oaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1572>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=8&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?id=1572)
. The November Organizing Packet is a great resource for you and your
community  as you spread the word about the SOA/WHINSEC and as you make plans to
attend the  November 16-18 Vigil to Close the SOA at Fort Benning,  Georgia.

ATTENTION! - If you are not a U.S. citizen or resident or  will be traveling
with someone who is neither, please make sure to inform  yourself and your
friend or loved one on some of the possible risks.

SOA  Watch supports the struggle for immigrant rights and we therefore
provide the  following information:

- SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=9&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1551>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=9&url=http:
//soaw.org/article.php?id=1551)   for persons without U.S. citizenship
considering participating in the  November Vigil

- IMMIGRATION CHECKLIST
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=10&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1552>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=10&url=http:
//soaw.org/article.php?id=1552)   for November Vigil participants

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS - JOIN AN SOA  WATCH WORKING GROUP

Thousands of us volunteer at home, doing the main  work of the movement
organizing, lobbying, and publicizing the murderous record  of the SOA/WHINSEC. SOA
Watch does not have large offices and lots of employees  running everything.
We are a grassroots movement, with only a few paid staff and  a few small
offices. SOA Watch is made up of diverse and dynamic working groups  that work in
different areas such as legislative, media, interpretation, stage  and
program, tabling, hospitality, legal, research and many more!

- Join  an SOA Watch WORKING GROUP
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=11&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fi
d%3D1099>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=11&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?id=1099)

- Volunteer with the PEACEMAKERS
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=12&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%
3D1550>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=12&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?id=1550)

TAKE PART IN NONVIOLENT DIRECT ACTION!

Every year groups  of people decide to take their message onto the base,
publicly defying the laws  which prevent political speech on military bases and
making a bold call for the  closure of the "School of Assassins." This year, we
encourage people to come as  individuals and affinity groups to take
nonviolent direct action to help  liberate us all from oppressive U.S. foreign policy
in Latin America and to  close the SOA/WHINSEC.

- Read this year's call for NONVIOLENT  DIRECT ACTION
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=13&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soaw.or
g%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D1091>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=13&url=http://www.soaw.org/article.php?id=1091)   and
the LEGAL BRIEFING
_<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=14&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoaw.org%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D845>_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=419280470&url_num=14&url=http://soaw.o
rg/article.php?id=845)   for those considering civil disobedience at the SOA
protest

See You in November!

Enter your email below to receive email alerts:

postal address is PO Box 4566, Washington, DC 20017.

------  End of Forwarded Message