[Sayma-Discuss] Liberation Theology is not just 'Black'

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 09:38:54 EDT 2008

Dear John,

Thankjs for the link to your letter (which I have
reproduced below).   It is good to see other
Friends using the opening Rev. Wright's sermons have given us all.

When Christians use the Jewish Bible to speak
their truth, they rightly get into trouble with
other Christtians.   I have met very few who
understand that they are treading on very thin
ice when they go there for inspiration.

Besides, if one is truly "Prophetic" they don't
need to be quoting others!   Fox, sure was right about that one!

So, while I agree with  your article and the
message that the USA is not living up to its own
ideals, I am not so sure Rev. Wright should have
used the Jewish scriptures to make his point. As
I have learned the hard way, messages have a
difficult time crossing cultural divides.

The brouhaha simply highlights how far apart the
communities in question are on process, if not message.

At 01:07 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
>Free, I'm sending you the URL to a brief essay
>of mine on this subject. Thanks for trying to
>add some reason into the brouhaha.
>
>Joel Shimberg
>
><http://texascivilrightsreview.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1202>

[]
[]

>But is it not the theological function of
>prophetic speech to talk precisely 'as if'?
>("Tolerance and the American Pulpit,"
><http://www.texascivilrightsreview.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1198>Mar.
>22, 2008)
>
>One of the major functions of prophetic speech
>is to castigate society for its failures to
>follow divine precepts. One of the great
>precepts of both Judaism and Christianity is the
>responsibility of those who have to care for
>those who have not. Examples of this are the
>Old-Testament duty of farmers to leave behind
>some food in the fields for the poor to glean so
>that they may eat, and the fact that Jesus is so
>frequently shown caring for the poor (to the
>extent of washing the feet of beggars) -- he
>didn't serve the military and the politicians,
>he served the downtrodden and the cast-off. I'd
>suggest that this is really about all one needs
>to know about liberation theology. Both Judaism
>and Christianity are rooted in the idea of social justice.
>
>The great majority of Americans are misled to
>think that the function of the prophet is to
>tell the future. The job of the prophet is to
>call upon society to adhere to the principles of
>social justice. This was as true for Jeremiah
>Wright and Martin Luther King,, Jr., (especially
>after he was enlightened about the relationship
>between racism and American imperialism and
>militarism -- much like the revelation that
>Malcolm X experienced on his Hajj) as it was for Amos and Jeremiah.
>
>Jesus and Malcolm and Martin Luther King, Jr.
>were all killed because the "good people" --
>those who benefit from our injustice towards
>society's victims -- couldn't bear the
>criticism. And that's why the hue and cry after
>Jeremiah Wright. How dare he tell his
>congregation (and the rest of us, now) that this
>nation's actions in Iraq, etc., are just as
>damnable as they were in Viet Nam, etc.? His
>repetition of "God Damn America" was using the
>prophetic voice as a contrast to the obscenity
>of the imperialist-militarist repetition of "God Bless America".
>
>Best wishes,
>Joel Shimberg
>Quaker old-time fiddler
>Tennesseee
>
>NOTE: "The Rev. Jeremiah Wright got a raucous
>standing ovation when he entered Saint Sabina
>church on the city's South Side on Friday night
>. . . He also sang "Happy Birthday" to [Maya]
>Angelou, whose birthday is April 4. . . . He
>recently scrapped plans to receive an award in
>Texas, and to speak at churches in Houston and
>Tampa, Fla." (AP, March 29, 2008).
>[]
>

>[]
>
>[]