[Sayma-Discuss] response to hate

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Fri Feb 29 16:07:33 EST 2008

I received quite a few supportive responses to my last post about the radio
talk show. Thanks y'all, especially the SAYMA folks.  If we respond to  "all"
we can share those thoughts.

Here's one that Judy Guerry sent that highlights a story you may not  have
heard about.

Kristi,

In light of Peterson Toscano's (and your) recent experience  in Memphis,
I wanted to share this mailing from the FaithTrust  Institute/Marie
Fortune. As you'll see, her essay is directed toward faith  communities
and their/our responsibility about raising our voices  prophetically
about hatred toward lesbian and gay persons. I'm copying Bob,  Nancy, and
Susan, thinking about implications for individual meetings in our
respective ministries and for SAYMA.

Peace--and wisdom--to you  all,
Judy

The Hate Crime You May Have Missed

February 26, 2008
Among the numerous school shootings in the past  several weeks, one stands
out for me: the killing of Lawrence King, 15,  allegedly by Brandon McInerney,
14, in Oxnard, California. However, it got  the least _media  coverage_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001uzbA__VLdsnKUkOdNjfI_qL4uwpMEOeoqryARv-3Rtjc1eBbGubNgK1iqD
CGUg2eZTmfpChHQ04tWGS5D6p0jV6I91fzC1aM8kczUyKEdQIZ_6D26JqplPiNZD3802ewYxpmkq4P
-grSptCSUZR5dtuLNAqGS25x25ugbA2XjsH2B0f8RpU9Mwp1GMelP9k28psidK93SJXzWzndbYNRIi
LyjwC0oVI4jof_Uly6SAUB_0culgoF4D93iAtP_3sXnOyxk_gLmMLgV9R5HtWZ6X33LG_EzpDI) .

The other school shootings appeared to be acts of random violence  directed
at strangers who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong  time. But at
Oxnard Junior High School, McInerney walked into the computer  lab, went
directly to King and shot him in the head before fleeing,  according to reports.
King died later at the hospital. The memorial  service was held at Westminster
Presbyterian Church which celebrated  Lawrence's short life.
Evidently, McInerney and his friends had been harassing King after King  had
disclosed that he was gay. Then McInerney took it one step further.  King was
different, as they say. He was proudly gay and wore high-heeled  boots,
make-up and jewelry to school. So he became the target of bullies.
The shooter will be tried as an adult charged with murder as a  premeditated
hate crime and if convicted, could spend up to 52 years in  prison. So where
did he learn this kind of hate? My best guess is home,  church and peers.
Anti-gay sermons, jokes, and language teach people that  it is okay to hate
lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people, and the  action to follow that hate
is bullying and violence.
This is not an isolated violent event. In the 2005 National School  Climate
Survey, nearly a fifth (17.6%) of LGBT students reported being  physically
assaulted at school in the past school year because of their  sexual orientation,
and over a tenth (11.8%) because of their gender  expression. Nearly
two-thirds of LGBT students (64.3%) said they feel  unsafe in school because of their
sexual orientation, and two-fifths  (40.7%) because of their gender expression.

Those of us in the faith communities should be asking ourselves these
questions: what are our youth programs and ministries doing to counter the  hate and
homophobia that is still taught and learned in much of society  today? What
are we doing to support the Lawrence Kings in our youth  groups? What are we
doing to challenge the Brandon McInerneys? Two young  lives tragically
interrupted because it's not okay to be different from  the rest.
April 25 will be a national day of silence to remember Lawrence King  and all
who suffer from hate crimes. Consider organizing an event in your  mosque,
church or synagogue.
_http://www.rememberinglawrence.org_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001uzbA__VLdsn28iW0i_Mu0QBo0_UGK7WgYORSfFQsQJS54mnism3bACYHdDkSUAm34-BuVyyKsDa3dZVoubImOIx9Iwc
rEpZ6w7PqIw8JHpl44x6o1pyfTyY-VVrqhpq6)