[Sayma-Discuss] Informed Comment - PTSD & Suicides as war casualties

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 5 14:10:50 EDT 2008

Friends,

Juan Cole has a distressing blog post on Informed Comment:

Sunday, May 25, 2008
Memorial Day, 2008
http://www.juancole.com/2008/05/memorial-day-2008.html

"Memorial Day is about honoring those who have sacrificed themselves for the nation, in our armed forces. We cannot honor them properly unless we know the full extent of their sacrifice.

"We have to count the victims of Post Traumatic Distress Syndrome, what we used to call being shell-shocked, as victims of the war. The number of those victims has been covered up....

"[Emanuel Margolis] charges that [Dr. Ira Katz, chief of mental health services for the Department of Veterans Affairs] covered up this startling statistic, showing 12,000 attempted suicides a year while in VA care, when he testified before Congress."

Please read and share this post, and consider what Friends might do to speak on behalf of veterans.

Thank you,
Michael