[Sayma-Discuss] Why Hillary Wouldn't Quit...(If the Elephant Sits on You, Can you talk about it THEN?)

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Sat Jun 7 18:56:34 EDT 2008

Dear Julia (and others)

You deserve a response but I don't wish to have an argument about the
election for the Democratic Party presidential candidate.  I just
wish to present my beliefs, so you know someone heard you and that
there are other concerns that were addressed in this historic
election that resulting in Senator Barack Obama becoming our first
Bi-Racial nominee for president of the USA by a major political party.

My first and second choice for president did not get selected,
either.  Note that Senator Obama was selected over all the other men,
who happened to be white, not just over the one white woman
candidate.   Senator Clinton came in 2nd in a field of 9.  Quite an
accomplishment, considering the sexism she had to overcome.  And sure
it helps to be 1st, but look at John McCaine.  He didn't get the
nomination the first time, either.   Yet, he persevered and now has
the nomination that had previously eluded him.

Senator Clinton, in spite of being female was NOT
substantially  different from the other Clinton when you look at how
she campaigned and the tactics she used to run for office.  Yes, she
was in a "bad" spot.   Hillary wouldn't have been the "one to beat"
from the beginning without her ties to husband Bill Clinton.  Yet,
the irony might be that husband Bill was also a big part of why she
lost.  Perhaps is it Bill Clinton who is the "Elephant who Sits on You"?

My vote has often been decided by examining the spouse(s) of the
persons running for office.   After all, that is a major decision
that all married candidates make.   The spouse(s) selected speaks
volumes to those who are willing to examine what that means.   I
voted for Bill Clinton, partly because of the fact that Hillary
Rodham chose him as her spouse.

People may have not voted for Senator Clinton because she was part of
the "good old boy" system.   Her anger, I believe, is due to the fact
that she "played the game" for so long and so well that she believed
it was her turn to be president.   She showed me that she was the
"old style" politician by her inability, to this day, to admit that
her vote to give President George W. Bush the power to invade Iraq
was a mistake.    Senator Edwards admitted he had made a
mistake.   Senator Kerry admitted he had made a mistake.  Why can't
Senator Clinton admit she made an error in that vote, too?

What happened on the way to the coronation was that Barack Obama's
charisma and persona attracted huge numbers of voters, both young and
old, both white and non white, who wanted someone really different
from the old style politician to be in office and they all worked
very hard to get Obama elected.   I read his book,

I'm glad we have Barack Obama as a candidate.  Not because he is
bi-racial.  Not because he has lived overseas.   Not because he
understands Islam.  Not because he seems to be more of a peace maker
than all those still running when they got to GA.  Not because he has
a working class background.   Not because he passed up big bucks for
a community organizing job in Chicago.   Bit because he rejects money
from lobbyists and PAC's.

I voted for Barack Obama because I desperately needed a breath of
fresh air and "hope I could  believe in".   We cannot appear to be
going back to the politics of big money and big lobbyists. Even to
put a woman in the White House.

Barack Obama give me something that I have been missing.  Hope that
our county can become more united and learn to see that of God in
every person.   Nobody else in the race (even my two previously
supported candidates) did that.  I want a leader who believes in our
people's goodness and is willing to listen to what others have to
say.   Someone who does not pretend that they have all the answers
and can "fix" everything all by themselves.      We've already had
way too much of that kind of leadership.    And that's what we need
at the local level, too.

To bring this to the local scene, I also believe that having Senator
Obama at the head of the Demicratic ticket this November will help to
elect many more Democratic candidates in Georgia, than otherwise.  We
who live in Georgia have to be VERY CONCERNED at how our Republican
controlled legislature and Executive branches are cutting services to
the poor and ignoring our environmental degradation.

Friends, let's not get completely distracted by National
politics.   What your school board does and what your county
commissioners want are as important as who is president of the
USA.   We can be key actors in the political realm by getting
involved in politics and helping to build  the peaceable
kindom.   It's way past time to "get into the game" and stop "yelling
from the stands".

Blessings,

Free Polazzo, Chair
Douglas County (GA) Democratic Party Recruitment and Eduction Committee

email: freepolazzo at comcast.net
phone: 770-949-1707 (H)
cell:  770-778-8507 (C)