[Sayma-Discuss] Pre-SAYMA ECN issue

Roy H Taylor III wrldpeas at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 10 13:13:41 EDT 2008

Please open to full screen for proper formatting

         Ecological Concerns Network

            Pre-SAYMA

            2008

            In this issue:

                  Current Events

                  Poem by Jere

                        World'sFirst Climate Bill

                        ECN Annual Report for 2008

                        QEW Retreat    Fall 2008

                  If for any reason you would like to have your name removed from the

                  Ecological Concerns Network

                  email list, please  email

                  wrldpeas at mindspring.com

                  with the word "remove from ECN" in the subject line.

     Current Events

            We are holding  two information / discussion meetings at lunch on both Friday and Saturday, look for the sign on one of the rooms off the cafeteria.  We will be having our Committee Meeting between 4 and 5pm, just before dinner, on Friday in the same room.

            Interest in ECN as a group has been waning.  Come discuss how we can find new purpose as we have met the original mission of the group.

            This is the time that
            Binds men's souls together
            No diviseness

            Deny the labels that
            We would place on others
            As we place on ourselves

            Fear is dissolving
            When we see our neighbor
            as one with us, all.

            But it must be all
            Without preference, no good
            guys or bad guys

            Noone is doing well
            Those living quiet lifes of
            deserate perfection

            Stand side-by-side
            With those pursuing agendas
            Of hate, until we show

            that we have no fear
            The love does not flow.
            only on the surface

            The love flows through us,
            But Love is not ours to claim,
            Love does not belong

            To anyone.

            Jere Licciardello

            Chattanooga Friends

            Canada's House of Commons Passes World's First Climate Bill
            by David Sassoon - Jun 6th, 2008

            Two days ago, Canada's elected chamber became the first in the world to adopt science-based targets to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions by 80% (from 1990 levels) by 2050.

            It's headline news, and the lack of attention being given to this development is mystifying. (If anyone knows why, please comment.) A search on Google news turns up a story in the Times of India, a Bloomberg wire service piece and a few, short items from the Canadian press. That's it.

            The law still has to pass through the Senate, and the Conservative government has vowed to ignore it, but even on a symbolic level it's deserving of more attention -- especially as this week Republicans in the US Senate killed pending climate legislation there.

            The Canadian climate law was introduced by Jack Layton of the New Democratic Party as a "private member's bill," and it passed by a vote of 148-116, supported by other opposition parties. The bill also sets an interim target of a 25 per cent reduction in greenhouse gases by 2020 and requires progress reports from the government every five years.

            It's not the only significant climate news out of Canada over the last week. The Montreal Stock Exchange opened a carbon exchange, and Quebec and Ontario announced a cap-and-trade agreement.

            Premiers Dalton McGuinty and Jean Charest suggested Monday that Canada's federal government will have no choice but to follow their lead.

            ECOLOGICAL CONCERNS NETWORK - Annual Report to SAYMA 2008

            MISSION STATEMENT

                 SAYMA Ecological Concerns Network will provide assistance, including spiritual and consultative support, to Friends in Yearly Meeting who are following their leadings to work on ecological concerns. It will also work to raise the level of awareness of ecological concerns among SAYMA Friends.

            The level of awareness of ecological concerns has never been higher than it is today, not only among friends but in the general population as a whole.  This is wonderful thing.  Unfortunately for a group such as this that came into existence to lift up these concerns we are at a point of "mission accomplished" for many of the original members of our group.  While the level of expertise among various friends of SAYMA has risen to a level that they are providing consulting services both to Friends and to the general public the purpose for this organization as it was originally created will need to evolve for it to continue.

            The Newsletter, that came into existence to group the announcements that were coming at such a pace that they were annoying coming one by one, now gets very little response from requests for materials.  For the last two years Nominating committee has not been able to find Friends led to clerk the group.

            Before making a decision to lay down this group, we are meeting to see if there are ways to re-energize and find new purpose for this group.  The work at this year's Yearly Meeting and in the months to come will redefine Ecological Concerns Network.

            The need still exists to be doing a better job at communicating within SAYMA the functions of QEW, ECN, and the relevance of earth care work that is being accomplished by these committees, our individual monthly meetings and worship groups and the individual members and attendees of these meetings.

            v    Action Item: We need to identify a contact representative from every MM.  This is a continuing task similar to maintaining a directory as people move and their interests and availability changes.

            We wish to acknowledge the work and energy of the various earthcare groups that exist at Monthly Meetings. This is where much of the real work is actually done.  Ecological Concerns Network is available as a resource to those meetings that would like to start their own local group and to work on these issues.

             Quaker Earthcare Witness is having their Fall 2008 Meeting in the Atlanta area.  Let me know how you would like to participate in this event.

            There is so much to being done.
            Please let us know of what is happening in your Meeting or community with an article about the activities there.

             Peace & Love

            Roy