[Sayma-Discuss] FGC YAF epistle

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 10:23:40 EDT 2008

Dear Kristi,
We hope  that you will share the enclosed epistle with the members of
Southern  Appalachian Yearly Meeting and Association receiving it as body at your
annual session, or distributing it among your meetings/churches.  There is  a
growing movement among young adult Friends interested in deepening our faith
journeys through convergence across our many  branches.  The young  adult Friends
’ conference Living as Friends, Listening Within brought  together 109
Friends from across the U.S. and Canada.  It was a truly  amazing experience to
play, pray, laugh, cry and sing with such wonderful  Friends from different
theological and cultural backgrounds. The community felt  held by a much wider body
of Friends who we knew were praying for us over the  weekend.  Thank you for
your support. We believe this to be important work  and wanted to share this
epistle with you.
Blessings,
The 2008 YAF conference planning committee:
Faith Kelley, Micah Bales, Maya Wright, Casey Kashnig, Nathan  Sebens, Katie
Terrell, Terri Johns, Emily Stewart, & Sadie  Forsythe
Emily  Stewart
Youth Ministries  Coordinator
_www.Quakeryouth.org_ (http://www.quakeryouth.org/)
FRIENDS GENERAL  CONFERENCE
1216 Arch St., Suite 2B,  Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Phone: (215) 561-1700, Fax:  (215) 561-0759
Web: _www.fgcquaker.org_ (http://www.fgcquaker.org/)  /
_mailto:emilys at fgcquaker.org_ (mailto:emilys at fgcquaker.org)
"It's not differences that  divide us. It's our judgements about each other
that do." -Margaret  Wheatley

Young Adult Friends’  Conference
Living as Friends,  Listening Within
Richmond, Indiana
May 23-26, 2008
Dear Friends  Everywhere,
“Do not be conformed to this world, but  be transformed by the renewing of
your minds, so that you may discern what is  the will of God—what is good and
acceptable and perfect.” - Romans 12:2 NRSV
In worship, in small  groups, in conversation, we have been transformed.
Friends affirmed their love  for one another again and again. The act of coming
together physically was a  first step to enacting loving unity. We are hungry
for connection and growth in  grace with one another, and the healing of our
divisions. We heard sermons and  joined voices in song. Friends had opportunities
to experience and participate  in unfamiliar forms of worship. We felt the
support of seasoned Friends who  provided pastoral care and the many Friends
that held the gathering in  prayer.
Formal small groups  gathered every day for checking in and more personal
discussion of the  challenges and joys of the conference. Small informal groups
treasured free time  where we found the space to address other concerns. These
informal discussions  created a foundation for the depth at which we arrived
in worship. Earlham  School of Religion professors, students, and alumni led
workshops, while  conference participants held interest groups on various
topics. On Sunday,  participants could choose between programmed (First Friends),
semi-programmed  (West  Richmond) or unprogrammed  (Clear Creek) worship in the
community.
In Spirit-led worship we  found that Friends spoke to the necessity of
continuing in conversations about  our similarities and differences. Friends were
asked before the conference to  consider the cultural norms of others present,
and whether certain choices may  impact our ability to find common ground. We
began exploring scripture together  in workshops, Bible study and programmed
worship. This invited new challenges  and opportunities to engage with texts
important to the experience of Friends.  We were reminded by Mark Walker that
living in unity as a Religious Society of  Friends will make us more effective in
our work in the world. The discernment of  corporate and individual leadings
is one of the obligations we have to one  another as a Society. We hear the
need to acknowledge diverse leadings, such as  Gospel, traveling, vocal, and
eldering ministries. Recording these gifts is one  way of making individuals and
meetings accountable to leadings.
Friends heard a call to  find ways to share the good news that has been
revealed to us at this gathering.  We strive to carry this light with us when we
return to our home meetings and  churches. We have invited one another to our
respective yearly gatherings and to  explore ways of opening our spiritual
homes. May we share with the world the  light and love that was a presence at this
gathering.
In  peace,
The YAF Conference  Participants