[Sayma-Discuss] Fw: Stop Censorship of Iraq War Veterans' testimonies

Steve Livingston nc-stereoman at mail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:09:23 EDT 2008

One of the central messages of the Winter Soldier hearings is that war is
dehumanizing, inhumane, and cruel - any war. People who participate in
warmaking will inevitably do things that they would otherwise find
unconscionable. Contrary to what one of the leading Presidential
candidates would have us believe, there is no such thing as a "smart"
war. War is a failure as soon as it has begun. As Jeannette Rankin so
cogently put it, you can no more win a war than you can win an
earthquake.

I don't know what people can do to "stop" the censorship of the Winter
Soldier hearings, but through a local effort that I and another Asheville
Friend are involved in, we have at least made an end-run around it. We
participate in a weekly radio news program that broadcasts stories that
are "under-reported in the mainstream media". Two weeks ago, one-fourth
of our thirty-minute program was devoted to the Winter Soldier hearings.

None of us can do everything, but any of us can do something.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?