[Sayma-Discuss] ouch

Sally Schuder Ferrell saferrell at wilkes.net
Fri Sep 26 14:33:11 EDT 2008

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/leonard_cohen/anthem.html

Yes - complete lyrics

From: sayma-discuss-bounces at kitenet.net [mailto:sayma-discuss-bounces at kitenet.net] On Behalf Of Susan Jeffers
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 8:49 AM
To: Charles Schade
Cc: sayma-discuss at kitenet.net
Subject: Re: [Sayma-Discuss] ouch

That would be a line from the Leonard Cohen song "Anthem" -- I often hum it, myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcX5RMBwbk

Another Leonard Cohen tune I like, apropos in these troubled times:  "Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI

Susan Jeffers
SAYMA lurker, member of Ann Arbor Friends Meeting, Lake Erie Yearly Meeting
longtime Leonard Cohen fan

Charles Schade wrote:

Remember, there was a serious and ugly incident at Guilford a year or two ago.  We should not judge an institution by the actions of a minority, but by how the institution collectively responds to the problem.  Guilford rose to the occasion, and the report suggests George Fox may do the same.  We should hold the faculty and students at George Fox in the Light.

Some years back there was a poem in Friends Journal that seems appropriate to this situation.  I am not sure I can quote it correctly, but it read something like this:

Forget you perfect offering

Ring the bells that still can ring

There's a crack, a crack in everything.

It's how the Light gets in.

(if anybody has a copy of the original, I would love to see it)

cps