[Sayma-Discuss] [Sayma-Announce] SAF spring issue deadline

Errol Hess errol at kitenet.net
Wed Apr 8 12:23:33 EDT 2009

News of Meetings

A thank you to Carol Hoke who will report quarterly from Brevard Monthly
Meeting. Other meetings are encouraged to appoint a reporter for SAF. I
received minutes this quarter from only six meetings out of the twenty
eight meetings and worship groups listed on the SAYMA web site. What do
Friends think? Is it time to lay this column down?  errol at kitenet.net

BREVARD

Brevard Friends continue their special effort to help keep the food
supplies at Sharing House and Bread of Life well stocked in view of the
unusually high demand. In addition, we’ve just begun a new addition to
the social life of our Meeting. An enthusiastic group of Friendly cooks,
who call themselves the Quaker Bakers, will periodically be providing
refreshments after Meeting for Worship. Our hope is that Friends will be
encouraged to stay and chat while munching on homemade treats.

Carol Hoke

MEMPHIS

[FROM NEWSLETTER]New Quaker Meetinghouse: Vinyl windows with lowE
coating and an argon buffer were installed in the meeting room and the
dining room on March 16. A good, thick layer of insulation was blown
into both attics on March 27th. Friends have begun laying out a
vegetable garden in the side yard and spring blooms are brightening up
the yard.

WEST KNOXVILLE

[FROM STATE OF THE MEETING REPORT] Other than agreeing that we have no
creed, we have found it surprisingly difficult to get to the core of our
beliefs and our truths. It is hard to share our Truth and gauge how it
has fared with us this year when instead it feels often as though we
have many truths and rarely take the time to share them with each other
much less with those who are newcomers among us. We imagined greeting
both Jesus and George Fox at our meetinghouse door . We are not sure
what would happen but we are confident that they would at least be
welcomed even if we might consider asking George Fox not to speak quite
so long during his next meeting for worship!

ATLANTA

March activities included a Forum on Human Trafficking, a Green Friends
presentation on A Sustainable Future, adult religious education on
Australian Friends, and a book club meeting on Peony In Love.

COLUMBIA

[FROM MINUTES AND EMAIL] Our move to the Presbyterian Center has been
delayed.  We will move early in May.   We will discuss plans for first
day school now that we have more young Friends and diverse ages.   April
5th:  12 Friends talk about Jesus    April 26  Pack up boxes and sort
library for the move.   I have talked with John Cook at the Presbyterian
Student Center who felt we would be able to move our stuff in on
Saturday May 2nd.  Please hold that date to help us move.   Thank you,
Sallie

CELO

[FROM MINUTES] The query will be written on a chalkboard, placed in the
entry way on first Sunday. The clerk will also read the query at the
beginning of meeting. It will be the clerk's responsibility to write the
query on the chalkboard, to post it in the meetinghouse, to read the
query at the beginning of meeting on first Sunday and to take it down
after meeting.