[Sayma-Discuss] Minute Regarding Global Climate Change

Roy H Taylor III wrldpeas at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 24 11:25:23 EDT 2009

Dear Friends in Monthly Meetings, Worship Groups, and members of ECN,

During the SAYMA Yearly Meeting in 2001, we passed the minute below.  I am raising it up as an issue that we as an organization have not been consciously attentive to.  More than eight years have passed and the environmental problems are worse.  We are now clearly past the 350 parts per million CO2 in the atmosphere to has been judged to be the amount that is sustainable.  We are past the point where just being conscious about recycling and changing some lightbulbs will be enough (still very good things to do and by doing so we make individual statements of belief of the issue).

We need to find places in our lives to use less energy, water an other resources (conservation).  We need to get more out of those that we do use (efficiency).  We need to support each other in this endeavor both in the collective activities of our Meetings and in our personal lives (walk the walk). We need to let our leaders know that this is and important issue and that we expect them to make the hard decisions and agree to work together at global levels to reduce the activities that are putting the Earth at risk (statement for Copenhagen).

This is a both a Peace and Social Concerns issue.  The 2 degree rise expected in the next 2+ decades will have displaced millions of people in coastal areas.  The costs will be immense both in dollars, disruption of lives in relocation and the threat to peace that disruption will cause.  The world powers have already shifted the conversation from prevention to adaptation because it is too late to stop some of these effects of climate change.

So the question that we must ask ourselves, as individuals, as Meetings, as an Association of Meetings, is what are we willing to do?

Please be in touch with us, Ecological Concerns Network, to let us record your progress of discussions and actions that you are taking with regard to this issue.

Roy Taylor

 Minute Regarding Global Climate Change

SAYMA Friends recognize that unprecedented rate of change in our global climate is causing rising global temperature, diminishing polar ice, changing local weather patterns, and increasing frequency of severe storms. We also recognize that human activity, largely the combustion of fossil fuels, is a major cause of these changes.

Further, this global climate change is destabilizing many of our planet's ecosystems, reducing their production of foods, medicines, and other products for humans, and accelerating species extinction.

Human refugees from droughts, floods, and rising sea levels, and the human suffering caused by crop failures and the spread of infectious diseases from warmer climates are  stressing societies and governments, setting the stage for violence, oppression, and conflict. Our peace testimony leads us to find ways to remove these potential causes of war.

Friends' concerns for simplicity, right sharing of resources, and equality, and our recognition that the effects of global warming desecrate God's creation, lead us to issue an urgent call for Friends to make substantive changes in their lifestyles including:

       reducing use of fossil fuels--for transportation; home heating, air-conditioning, and lighting; and recreation--through conservation, efficiency, and use of alternative energy sources (human, solar, and wind power).

       reducing industrial combustion of fossil fuels through informed choices of products and services.

       working for public policy that:

     supports international agreements to reduce heat-trapping gases

     discourages use of carbon-based fuels and encourages use of renewable sources of energy

     develops, supports, and promotes both local and long distance public transportation systems.

We urge Friends Meetings and individuals to act on these urgent concerns. We call on Monthly Meetings & Worship Groups to report on such actions at the next Yearly Meeting. We ask Friends to consider how to develop social supports that enable us to move into spiritually informed daily efforts to change our lives and act on our concerns.

Approved by Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting and Association

Yearly Meeting 2001, Minute 45

On Earth

as it is

in Heaven