[Sayma-Discuss] Ecological Concerns Network - December 2009

Roy H Taylor III wrldpeas at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 13 18:19:45 EST 2009

While we are in the throws of the season of peace and celebrate with festivals of light many of us have our attention on the work happening in Copenhagen.  What if anything will be accomplished and what will the framework be that will have been worked out to fill with a "Real Deal" or a fair and equitable solution on a world basis to primarily slow the use of fossil fuels.

Friends World Committee for Consultation - Global Change Consultation is working on a world wide consultation.  This would breakdown regionally into clusters around the world to work on this. The theme for the cluster gatherings and the international Consultation is: Mending the World: A Broken Covenant? Friends' responses to global change.

From: http://www.fwccglobalchange.org/background.html

To supplement this theme, a quotation from William Penn:

True Godliness doesn't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it. We have nothing that we can call our own; no, not our selves: for we are all but Tenants, and at Will, too, of the great Lord of our selves, and the rest of this great farm, the World that we live upon.

And from the Bible:

The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers; the heavens languish together with the earth. The earth lies polluted under its inhabitants; for they have transgressed laws, violated the statutes, broken the everlasting covenant. (Isaiah 24:4, 5)

And from Jonathan Schell from The Fate of the Earth and The Abolition

In weighing the fate of the earth and, with it, our own fate, we stand before a mystery, and in tampering with the earth we tamper with a mystery. We are in deep ignorance. Our ignorance should dispose us to wonder, our wonder should make us humble, our humility should inspire us to reverence and caution, and our reverence and caution should lead us to act without delay to withdraw the threat we now pose to the earth and to ourselves.

Queries will be useful to help the Clusters focus and to provide a common thread among the Clusters. Here are proposed Queries:

  a.. In what ways do we see humanity as having broken its covenant with God for care of creation?
  b.. How has climate change and its ripple effects affected our communities and ourselves?
  c.. If we see global change as a consequence of a broken covenant what actions have we taken in response to mend the covenant, heal the world and our relationship with God?
  d.. How might we witness to the abundance God offers us and testify to the world ways in which justice and peace might abound in the face of significant disruption and tension?
So the question goes out to ECN members and to SAYMA in general as to how we would like to participate in this endevour.

Peace on Earth - Peace with Earth,
Roy