[Sayma-Discuss] Help for Haiti

Elizabeth Eames roeblingelizabeth at msn.com
Thu Feb 19 07:46:31 EST 2009

Dear Friends -

The temporary protected status order for illegal Haitian immigrants in the United States which was issued by President Bush after last year's four storms has expired. The INS has now processed 30,000 illegal Haitians to the final deportation stage. The government of Haiti is refusing to cooperate with the United States government on this issue by not issuing the required travel documents. It is estimated that perhaps as many half of these deportees have criminal records. President Preval has asked that they not be returned to Haiti, as they will further destabilize this nation which has not recovered from last year's storms. The city of Gonaives (4th largest- est. 300,000) is still 2/3 covered in mud.

While I support the right of all nations to protect their borders and enforce their laws, I believe that the case of Haiti at this time deserves special attention. Friends may wish to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMmBTf0sc-U for a first hand look at the situation on the ground.

I ask that Friends consider joining me in calling President Obama and asking him to stay this deportation order until he has had an opportunity to visit Haiti and see the situation on the ground for himself. The White House phone number is 202-456-1414. The switchboard is open from 9 AM to 5 PM.

Many Thanks,

Elizabeth Roebling, Asheville Friends Meeting
www.elizabetheames.blogspot.com

"