[Sayma-Discuss] (no subject)

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 19:12:39 EST 2009

Dear Friends,

A most wonderful person died on New Year's day.    Jack Powelson, who
attended Atlanta Meeting while teaching economics as a visiting professor at
Mercer College here in Atlanta, became a personal friend of Janet and I as
we shared his love of economics and accounting as well as Quakerism.

I highly recommend that Friends read his book (which is available on line at
no charge) now called " A History of Wealth and Poverty" where he answers
the question:

"Why are some nations so rich and others so poor, in material wealth?"
http://tqe.quaker.org/wealth-and-poverty/index.html

There is also a Spanish version:
http://tqe.quaker.org/wealth-and-poverty/index-es.html

Jack's ideas are still decades ahead of the rest of the economists I hear on
the many medium we have.   We are blessed to have known him and to have him
as part of our community.     He wrote his own obituary a few years ago and
it is a good read.