[Sayma-Discuss] torture halted!!!

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 18:43:52 EST 2009

TORTURE IS A MORAL ISSUE
Dear  Friends:

We hope you've heard the good news that today  President Obama signed the
executive order we have been seeking --  an executive order that ends the CIA
abuse of detainees, closes U.S.  secret prisons, and provides the International
Committee of the Red  Cross with access to U.S.-held detainees.  We have
stopped our  "count-up" clock -- the clock marking the hours that had passed  until
an executive order halting U.S.-sponsored torture was  signed.

This is a moment for celebration and  thanksgiving.  We have all prayed and
labored faithfully for  this significant step toward ending U.S.-sponsored
torture.

Thank you for all your efforts to help reach this  goal.

Is there more to do?  Yes!

Along  with these sweeping changes in policy, the executive order created a
Special Task Force charged with reviewing the Army Field Manual's
interrogation guidelines to determine whether "different or  additional guidance" is
necessary for the CIA.  The Task Force  has 180 days to report.  We need to make
sure that any new  interrogation technique that the Special Task Force
recommends  abides by the "Golden Rule" (in other words, each new technique must  be
both legal and moral if used upon a captured  American).

Please email the White House to thank President  Obama for his action today
and to urge him to ensure that any  additional interrogation techniques
recommended by the Special Task  Force comply with the principle of the "Golden Rule"
  --   that we will use  only those  interrogation techniques that would be
considered  moral and legal if used upon a captured American.

_Click  here_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rTlyUvEMZT/h1nDFgpYy45PB2/urLOyV)  to email the White House.

In the coming months we  will focus on a legislative agenda to make permanent
the elements of  this executive order by codifying them into law. We will
also  continue working to secure a nonpartisan investigation that will  provide
the critical information necessary to create effective  safeguards against the
future use of torture and allow the nation to  decide whether to pursue
criminal prosecutions of those involved in  authorizing or implementing policies
that led to the use of  torture.

Together, we can build on today's victory and ensure  that our grandchildren
will be able to say, "Our nation once engaged  in torture, but we don't do
that anymore."  May it be so.

Sincerely,

Linda Gustitus, President
Rev.  Richard Killmer, Executive Director
You have received this message because you endorsed the  "Torture is a Moral
Issue" statement of the National Religious  Campaign Against Torture OR you
signed up to receive more  information from NRCAT.
If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, _please  click here_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Qg67VTzOE1fdS9dn+BE8NZPB2/urLO
yV)  to unsubscribe from this mailing list.
Questions? Please email _campaign at nrcat.org_ (mailto:campaign at nrcat.org)
National  Religious Campaign Against Torture: _www.tortureisamoralissue.org_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0PEDuJWHy0+V6CQNpCS0BJP
B2/urLOyV)