[Sayma-Discuss] Causes of Immigration

Charles Schade c.vmbra at verizon.net
Sat Jan 24 21:26:59 EST 2009

I'm impressed by the thought and the depth of concern Friends have put into these few postings.  We probably need to consider these concerns prayerfully in our Meetings and attempt to discern what might be a proper response.  John Woolman would have had something to say about avoiding complicity.

The scriptures mention nation not lifting up sword against nation, nor learning war any more, and follow that with "But they shall sit, every man under his vine and under his fig tree..."  To me, that passage says a lot about economic justice and disparities, though it may have the events reversed.  When everyone has a vine and a fig tree, then many of the "occasions for war" will be gone, as will the motivations for illegal migration.

cps