[Sayma-Discuss] [qewdiscussions] Britain YM takes a stand - "A Quaker response to the crisis of climate change" [1 Attachment]

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Thu Jul 23 20:28:28 EDT 2009

Roy, (et all)

Interesting that another YM has made a change to their Faith and Practice.    Yearly meetings do this all the time as there are many of them around the world.

Our work is to understand how way opens in SAYMA.      We don’t just approve minutes from other YM’s, even if they are well received there and other places.

Thanks for bringing it to the list’s attention.     The next step, if someone is so moved, is to bring a minute to their Monthly Meeting for approval.

That is then sent to the Clerk of the YM, who introduces it at the NEXT YM (2010) and where it may be referred to the committee who is revising the Guide.

Here is the relevant passages excerpted from the current version of SAYMA’s Guide to our Faith and Our Practice.

“As a resource, the Guide to Our Faith and Practice naturally reflects

the way SAYMA Friends have conducted their spiritual labors at the

time of its original composition (1975-1990) and subsequent revisions.

We recognize that to enable the Spirit to blow freely where it will, thus

leading Friends and their meetings, is a more fundamental principle than

any temporary guide. The Guide reflects our understanding of the

spiritual basis for our practice as Quakers.

To encourage openings to divine revelations and to promote the

corporate nature of Friends' decision making, the clerk of SAYMA shall

inquire each year at the beginning of the first yearly meeting session for

business if concerns have arisen among Friends regarding this Guide.

Specific minuted proposed alteration, seasoned in a monthly meeting,

may then be presented and referred to an examining committee

appointed by the yearly meeting; this committee will promptly consider

such alterations, make any recommendation for changes and then be

discharged.

As the Spirit leads or not less than 10 years after completion and

approval by yearly meeting of the most recent revision, yearly meeting

shall consider whether it will appoint a revision committee to:

• Review the entire Guide;

• Through prayerful consideration weigh whether continuing

corporate revelation necessitates a change;

• Bring a recommendation to the next YM annual session;

• Gaining approval of yearly meeting, if a revision is needed,

proceed to draft changes.

In order to assure continuity and preservation of past experience it

is recommended that examining and revision committees consist of five

or more members, at least two of whom have served on a previous

examining or revision committee. The committees continue to serve

until they have fulfilled their charge and yearly meeting has laid them

down.

At least three (3) months prior to yearly meeting sessions, these

committees shall distribute recommendations to monthly meetings to

allow for a process of seasoning. In light of minuted responses from

monthly meetings the committees will present their reports for yearly

meeting consideration (at Yearly Meeting). Any recommendations for

changing the Guide that are approved at yearly meeting sessions will

immediately become a part of the Guide, even before reprinting.”

Hope this helps all to better understand the process we follow.

Blessings,

Free Polazzo