[Sayma-Discuss] Causes of Immigration, Role of AFSC, others

Geeta Jyothi mcgahey at yancey.main.nc.us
Mon Mar 2 17:49:08 EST 2009

Dear Friends,
I have recently returned from the AFSC-SERO EC meeting in Atlanta.  We read
these comments by Elizabeth and discussed our response to Haiti for about
an hour.  The National AFSC does not do large scale relief in areas where
we don't have or expect to have ongoing presence.  Although there is an
office in Haiti there is not program work there.  In the SE we have one
person in Miami who is working with Haitian immigrants, trying to build
bridges to the future in the torn diaspora community and also working on
deportation issues.  Our office's new Assistant director Alice  Lovelace
<alovelace at mindspring.com> has a long-standing personal concern about
Haiti, and how the situation there is hidden from view.  We saw the hygiene
and infant kits as inadequate and inappropriate to the devastation of the
hurricane.
We realized that if we couldn't send water at least we could provide iodine
tablets and other essentials
We are hopeful that since schools are opening education kits may be a good
way to connect US children and their parents to the reality in Haiti.

We approved the following minutes for the South-East Region (SERO):

The EC asks staff to incorporate support for Haitian human rights in all
appropriate work as the new program plans are prepared.

The EC asks the Friends Humanitarian Response Program to assess needs with
local people before soliciting and sending kits, particularly
internationally, and to focus on the most pressing needs that can be met
with kits.

We thank Elizabeth for bringing this to our attention.

I am excited about the work of AFSC in our region and the efforts to
collaborate with other groups so as to be a leavening.

Geeta Jyothi, AFSC-SERO Rep

OM Shantih Shantih Shantih,

Geeta Jyothi