[Sayma-Discuss] School of the spirit #2

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 14:45:07 EST 2009

This is the more recent newsletter of School of the  Spirit.
Please forward if you know anyone you think  might be interested.

Kristi
_Subscribe  me!_
(http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1102273236614&ea=quakerkristi@aol.com)

                   Snapshots
News from the School of the  Spirit Ministry
February  2009
In This Issue   _Q&A Call In and Testing the  Waters_
(mip://00fa4688/default.html#LETTER.BLOCK22)   _Statement of Faith, by Louise_
(mip://00fa4688/default.html#LETTER.BLOCK14)   _God's Passion, by John_
(mip://00fa4688/default.html#LETTER.BLOCK23)   _Prayers, by Viv_
(mip://00fa4688/default.html#LETTER.BLOCK21)      (http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1102273236614)
Quick Links
_Program  Interest Survey_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.hb5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=oA6jaKG2SjanftV6Ftvqo
Q_3d_3d)

_Our  Website_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.tjpmntcab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/sos.shtml)

_Newsletter  Archive_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.9knemwcab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/sots_rpts.shtml)

(http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102273236614&a=1102457275513&ea=quakerkristi@aol.com)
Dear Patty,
In this issue we celebrate the life and love  of Louise Harris, a graduate of
the Spiritual Nurturer  class of 2008, who died on January 17. Louise was our
 teacher. In the loving community of that class, she  found the space to heal
and forgive. When diagnosed with  pancreatic cancer, she found herself freed
from earthly  concerns and she shone with God's unflinching love.  Those who
knew her intimately--her husband John and  sister Eleanor--recognized, as did
we all, that this was  not a denial of death, but a celebration of life. In
addition to sharing with you her final papers, we  include John's message of
passion which he read at her  memorial. We send our love and prayers to John and
Eleanor, and all those who will miss her.

The  condition of the economy is impacting each of our lives.  This is true
too for organizations such as ours. Since  we rent retreat space for our
programs, we plan up to 3  years ahead. So if you are interested in participating
in either the two-year program On Being a Spiritual  Nurturer or the one-year
program The Way of Ministry,  it would be a great service to us if you would
complete  this _survey_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.hb5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=oA6jaKG2SjanftV6FtvqoQ_3d_3
d) .

As always, please share this newsletter with a  friend or two. Just use the
link to the  left.

Blessings,
Michael  Green
Q&A Call In and Testing the Waters Retreat
Are  you in the midst of discerning whether or not this is your  year to
apply to the Spiritual Nurturer  program?  Are the scheduled Testing the Waters
retreats  inconvenient for you?  Then consider joining the core  teachers in a
question and answer Call In on Sunday, March 15,  beginning at 7 p.m. (EST).

Click _here_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.7knemwcab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/nurtconfcall.shtml)  for details  of the Q&A
Call In.

In this call, the teachers will  respond to your spiritual, as well as your
practical  questions.  The intent is to assist you in your  discernment, not to
recruit you to the program.

As a reminder, there is a Testing the Waters day-long  retreat at Alexandria
Friends Meeting, VA, on March 28.

The requested donation for each day is $25. To  register, please send us an
_email_ (mailto:info at schoolofthespirit.org)  with your contact information and
indicating for which retreat day you are  registering.

For the prospectus and to download the  application and scholarship forms,
please visit our _website_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.tjpmntcab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/sos.shtml) .

Statement of  Faith by Louise  Harris

Toward the  end of the Spiritual  Nurturer program, each participant is asked
to write a  statement of faith.  Here are a few sentences from  Louise's
statement which she wrote last November.

"At this point in my life, I have recently gotten a  diagnosis of pancreatic
cancer. From the first, I felt very  free. I knew that God was with me and in
every cell in my  body, that there were no good cells or bad cells.  God is
in the entire universe, in the winds, snows, smiles of  children, sorrows and
pains, animals and the creepy crawly  things of the earth.  God has just given
this to me as  another challenge, never leaving me alone one moment.  I  see
no duality between death and life, enabling me to  potentially live each day
afresh."

For a 5-minute audio  meditation with her complete statement, click _here_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.ib5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.
quakerinfo.com/harrisfaith.mp3) .  (Unfortunately we do not have it read in
her own voice and  inimitable style.) It can also be read _here_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.jb5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.c
om/harrisfaith.pdf) .

Louise's paper on forgiveness can be read _here_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.kb5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/harrisforgi
ve.pdf) .

God's Passion: A Memorial  Message by John Cardarelli

I love you with a  fierceness
Blackberry juice lining throats, aftertaste of  wild sweet savor,
Morphing butterflies dancing wildly in  the sun,
Red-tailed hawk mewing its presence
Silently  winging.
Sentinel huckleberry tree, blueberry vibrant on  windswept ridge
Your loving on logging trail beneath  BrownMountain blue lights.
Pileated Pair.

John's complete message can be read _here_
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=zdbgzxcab.0.lb5waycab.gutvjscab.0&ts=S0394&p=http://www.quakerinfo.com/harrismemorial.pd
f) .

Prayers by Viv  Hawkins

(Viv wrote these prayers following the second residency  of The Way of
Ministry  program in December 2008.)

Most High One who enfolds us  in You and You in us, thank You.  Thank You for
the  tension that contained so many interlocking  pieces:
          The struggle to open the way so we may see and be seen, hear  and
be heard, love and be loved by each other as well as  You.
          Brueggemann... cry (evoke alternative) doxology... criticism  and
energizing.
          Something is here that I can't know yet.  I feel it  inside and
around me rattling like the valve on a pressure  cooker.  How do I and we  open?
         The  willingness for two of us to wrestle in hard places.  I  know
how to disappear.  The other knows how, also.   Tears keep me open.  The other
keeps her seat.   Grace  happens.
          With my peer group, I share about the beggars to whom I gave  Rs 3
(6 cents) in India.  I labor knowing that giving  anything short of my life
is sin.  They help me see  through tearful eyes the true exchange: "I see you
and I love  you."  I forgive  myself.
          Looking unabashedly into the soft, gentle eyes of one who  loves
largely.  Having those eyes look trustfully into  mine.  Being asked what I see
there.  Love.   Imagining that God might bestow me with one iota of that love
 so I might pass it on.  Tears  flow.
          Lamentation calls forth the depths of my pain and  longing.  My
whole body shakes with the sobs, the  yearning for life, for the Kindom of All.
How  long?
         I  know the struggle with otherness in many places.  It  torments
me again.  I pray with my prayer partner "to be  and be with."  Keep your  seat.
         The  diagram shows me the other I have most difficulty taking in.
Keep your  seat.
          Refiner's fire ablaze.  One blow does not extinguish  it.
Terrified I'll burn down the building.  Fearing  myself.  Breath of God.  Relief.
         Crouched  in the corner of that large room swaddled in "grand
silence," I assume the small, disappearing place.  I  keep my seat there healing,
preparing.
         Coaxing  the cry to mature and fulfill itself.  Reaching out,
being heard, lovingly received.  Blessed, broken, given,  and received.
Communion.  Ahhhhhh.   Release.
          Exorcism.  While love may be the first motion, it does  not always
appear as love.  It sometimes manifests as  criticism.  For one who fears
being feared or mistrusted,  criticism can be a self-sacrificial love, risking
the self's  need for the greater good.
         Death  and resurrection.  God of all the nations, help us know
when we are called to leave the dead to bury the dead, call  forth Lazarus, or
come upon the tomb where the stone is rolled  away?  Lament evoking doxology.
"And when the day  is done and I see the setting sun, I will lift my voice and
say, 'Thank You, Lord, thank You for one more day.  Thank  you for one more
day.'"
          Self-in-God-sibling-community.  The wine is spilled into  the
Infinite and we flow there.
Praise You, Blessed  One.  Praise these blessed ones who serve You in
preparing The Way of Ministry, in preparing us all, Your  servants.

I came to residency 2 to learn about  the ministry: that which we do.  I
mostly learned about  myself, God, and our relations with community: that which we
 are.  The latter is far greater a pearl to me.   Thank you, Beckey.  Thank
you, Laura.  Thank you,  Marcelle.  Thank you, Barbarajene and Katharine.

Thank You, God.  Now, will you let me sleep until  at least 6:30am, again.
These three o'clock in the  morning appointments are killing me!

A Ministry of Prayer and  Learning devoted to the School of the Spirit
is  dedicated to all who wish to be more faithful listeners and  responders
to the inward work of Christ.

Donations are  always welcome. Checks may be sent to the address below, made
out to Philadelphia Yearly  Meeting earmarked for the School of the  Spirit.

A Ministry of  Prayer and Learning devoted to the School of the Spirit is a
ministry under the care of
the Worship and Care Committee  of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.

_Forward  email_
(http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102273236614&ea=quakerkristi@aol.com&a=1102457275513)

This email was forwarded to quakerkristi at aol.com, by _Patty Levering_
(mailto:pattylev at bellsouth.net) .