[Sayma-Discuss] Concerning the FLGBTQC Epistle

Shaun Alissa Chavis schavis at me.com
Wed May 6 10:25:08 EDT 2009

Friends,

As recording clerk of the Birmingham, AL Friends Meeting, I would like
to share with you a minute passed by our meeting on April 26:

The Birmingham Friends Meeting requests that the SAYMA Ministry
&Nurture Committee query monthly meetings in the next State of the
Meeting report about how they have responded to or addressed the LGBTQ
community. Birmingham Friends Meeting also requests that SAYMA
consider the specific requests put forth in the FLGBTQC epistle to the
Friends General Conference dated February 15, 2009, and supports that
FGC take action on those requests.

As an individual (and fairly new) Quaker, and as an African American
woman (please do not take this comment to be the reflection of those
in my meeting; this is my personal opinion only), I attended the SAYMA
rep meeting in Birmingham (as the rep for BFM). During our discussion
of the FLGBTQC epistle, I could not help but think of the interesting
coincidence of having the conversation in the very city where Dr.
Martin Luther King was jailed for his peaceful protests to gain equal
rights for others and wrote a letter to other clergy about how some
faith communities were impacting the progress of civil rights. During
the SAYMA rep meeting, snippets of King's Letter from a Birmingham
Jail came to my mind, but not enough for me to be able to quote
anything correctly. I offer a link to the text of the letter here, for
anyone who might wish to read and reflect upon Dr. King's words. http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

Best regards,

Shaun Chavis