[Sayma-Discuss] You're invited: Quaker Camping Trip, May 29-30

Jonah McDonald jonahpmcd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 19:19:01 EDT 2010

Dear SAYMA Friends,

My partner, Dana, and I are leading a Quaker camping trip on Memorial Day
weekend in the north Georgia mountains, and we'd like to invite you to
participate.

For those of you who don't know, the pilgrimage ministry that I've been
offering since I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2002 has emerged as a
business - Sure Foot Adventures. I now facilitate outdoors adventures with
students, families, and adults. This Quaker camping trip is one way I'm
bringing this work to Friends.

To register for the trip, simply email me to confirm you'll be going. We
need all registrations in by May 14, but we can only accommodate 12 people
on this trip, so it'll be first-come, first-served.

Here are details about the trip. We'll be sending out a clothing list and
food options once we know who's going.

*Where?* Camping near Dicks Creek Falls along the Chattooga River (near
Clayton, GA), a 1/4 mile hike from our vehicles. We'll be able to swim in
the river, play in the waterfalls, go on day hikes, eat s'mores, and relax.

*When? *May 29-30, 2010. We'll leave at 9am on Saturday morning from the
Meetinghouse and return by 6pm on Sunday evening.

*Who?* Quakers of all ages and their friends and family are invited on this
trip. We're inviting Atlanta Friends and SAYMA Friends. This trip will be
accessible for the youngest and oldest Friends, no matter your experience
level.

*What?* Dana and Jonah of the Atlanta Friends Meeting will lead the trip.
All you need to do is show up with your personal items & clothes. We'll
provide all group gear, including tents, cookware, stoves, tarp, backpacks,
sleeping bags, sleeping pads, first aid kit, etc. We'll also provide all
food for the camping trip. Jonah is trained as a Wilderness First Responder.

*Why?* We want to offer a trip for our faith community in which we can all
share our love of nature in a relaxed atmosphere. We plan to have a silent
worship service in the woods on Sunday morning.

*How much?* $135/person; $220 for two family members; contact me for
larger-family pricing.

To get a feel for what this trip will be like, I recommend reading one or
more of my blog posts about past trips on Sure Foot's website:
http://www.surefootadventures.com

Please announce this trip at Meeting and tell Friends about it who may not
be on the SAYMA listserv. Thanks!

In the Light,
Jonah McDonald