[Sayma-Discuss] [Sayma-Announce] We are but Wintesses

Larry Ingle lingle at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 18 15:27:20 EDT 2010

I want to thank Nancy Whitt for sending this publication from Britain Yearly
Meeting along.  I appreciate that bodyıs efforts to let other Christian
groups in the UK know what Friends are doing and how they reached their
decision.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend SAYMA this June and have not yet
reviewed the minutes of that meeting, so I do not know what actions SAYMA
took in regard to marriage.  I hope the meeting followed what I think is the
practice of Britain YM and which Chattanooga meeting has itself decided to
follow, namely, to oversee the marriages of all couples who come before us
if they are willing to follow the same process we have heretofore followed,
i.e., be known to us, be a part of the clearness process, and have the
marriage overseen by a committee of the meeting.

Although SAYMA speaks only for itself and can not presume to speak for all
Quakers in the United States, I certainly think what we may want to consider
the course of Britain YM and contact other groups, especially Friends, about
our decisions in this regard.

For what itıs worth.

Larry Ingle
Chattanooga