[Sayma-Discuss] Invitation to Attend September 11 Quakerism 201 Retreat Atlanta Meeting

William W Holland wwholland at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 21 17:01:12 EDT 2010

Friends,

The ministry and worship committee of Atlanta Friends Meeting invites
you to attend a retreat at Atlanta Friends Meeting facilitated by Jay
Marshall, Dean of the Earlham School of Religion.   Simple lunch
provided.  Please register by September 6 with Bill Holland.  Let us
know if there are hospitality needs.  We look forward to seeing you.

Bill

Quakerism 201-Finding Our Way Once We've Discovered the Path

  Saturday, September 11, 2010

  A Retreat at the Atlanta Friends Meetinghouse
701 West Howard Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030

Come join Jay Marshall from Earlham School of Religion on Saturday,
September 11 to explore Quakerism 201:  Finding Our Way Once We've
Discovered the Path.

9:30 - 10:00            Coffee and Settling

10 - 12              Sifting Through the Rubble: God, language, and
rumblings Out of the Silence

Lunch 12 - 1            Simple lunch at meetinghouse will be provided

1-2:30                        Trial and Error, Queries and Quibbles

2:30-2:45             Break

2:45-4:00            Faith and Practice, the Beginning of Witness

TO REGISTER: Advance registration is requested.  Full or Half Day
Attendance is welcomed.  To register, email Bill Holland at wwholland at mindspring.com
  or call 404-892-2358 by September 6.

On Sunday, September 12, Jay will offer reflections on his spiritual
journey, The Path to Becoming Who I am Becoming-A Dean's Journey to
and Passion for Education for Ministry 9-9:50 at the Adult Religious
Education class and again from 11:45-12:45 at our forum.  During
coffee hour after meeting we will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of
ESR with desserts and information about the school.

OUR RETREAT LEADER: Jay Marshall is Dean of Earlham School of
Religion, a Quaker graduate theological school in Richmond, Indiana.
Originally from North Carolina Yearly Meeting (FUM), where he was a
recorded as a minister in 1985, Jay Marshall is currently a member of
Indiana Yearly Meeting.  A graduate of Guilford College, he also holds
a M.Div and a Ph.D. from Duke University.  His doctoral work was in
the area of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Near Eastern Studies.  He is
author of four books, and has served as a pastoral minister in North
Carolina and Indiana Yearly Meeting.  He lives in Cambridge City,
Indiana, with his wife Judi.

William Wyatt Holland, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology
Georgia State University