[Sayma-Discuss] Where is your money invested, Friend?

Dennis Gregg dennisgregg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:58:03 EDT 2010

Always a useful query, one that both my Monthly Meeting and SAYMA have been
mindful of.  It gets more difficult for friends who work for themselves or
for organizations without pensions, who seek to have their money "grow" in
order to fund their retirement years.  If we want to take the position that
all investment earnings (whether through dividends or asset price
appreciation) are unearned and therefore are a benefit derived from other
people's efforts, I find that ethically appealing, but it leads to the much
more difficult questions of disparity of income, disparity of wealth, and
the question of inherited wealth.  Is the CEO of Goldman Sachs 1000 times
more valuable to society than a teacher?  500 times?  Is is more ethical to
spend every cent that we earn rather than invest?  Should we stick our
excess (or emergency fund) into the mattress.  Should we lend without
interest?  Should we invest without an expectation of any return even of
principle (then let's call it a gift)?  Should we refuse the pension that
our employer offers because of how those funds were invested?

Thank you Steve for reminding us of the question.  I find no simple answer
beyond the Quaker habit of trying to live simply so that we can be more
giving of our time and resources.

Dennis

--
Dennis Gregg