[Sayma-Discuss] AFSC General Secretary Search Update

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 17:15:18 EST 2010

 American Friends Service Committee logo
<http://support.afsc.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11584.gif>

<http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=LIJ0EbHW6IBxl-H8lc87ow..>

Dear Free,

After ten years of faithful service, Mary Ellen McNish is concluding her
tenure as the American Friends Service Committee's General Secretary at the
end of this month.  We are grateful for her service to the AFSC.

On behalf of the General Secretary Search Committee, I am sending this email
to the entire AFSC online community.  We would like to keep everyone
informed about the search process, and also, provide an opportunity for all
to help us identify candidates for the next General Secretary.

I am pleased to report that the search for a new General Secretary for the
AFSC is moving forward on schedule. In recent weeks, we have reached out to
Friends Meetings and organizations, asking the Quaker community to nominate
candidates who would be able to lead the organization into the future.
Because the search committee is committed to looking broadly for the best
pool of candidates to choose from, we have also reached out to staff and
volunteers, asking for nominations.  Now we are also asking for your help in
identifying candidates for the next General Secretary of the AFSC.

If you know a seasoned Friend with skills and abilities that can lead the
AFSC in our work for peace and justice, please forward the name of this
Friend to the Search Committee.  Although the Service Committee embraces
people of many faiths and our staff reflects the diversity we find in the
neighborhoods and cities where we work, the General Secretary position is
the one staff position that must be held by a Quaker.

This Friend will articulate a compelling vision of how AFSC programs
effectively promote Friends' testimonies of equity, community, peace and
nonviolence.   We are looking for someone with experience in peace and
justice work, nonprofit management, fundraising interest and expertise - and
a person up to the challenge of leading a vibrant, distinct, and energetic
organization.

For more about the position or about the search, please visit afsc.org
<http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=b-Y4GH8NTG9YzEWQTR26VQ..> .

We prefer to receive nominations by email. Please forward them to me at:
sam_lowe at me.com.

The deadline for receiving resumes and letters of interest is March 19,
2010.  This date is fast approaching, so thank you for making your
nominations soon!

We are grateful for your support of AFSC and we look forward to sharing
updates with you.   If the process continues to go as planned, we hope to
have a new, permanent General Secretary in place this fall.

Sincerely,

Sam Lowe
Clerk, AFSC's General Secretary Search Committee

  <http://support.afsc.org/site/PixelServer?j=5tSAy1bOqLvq_PzroiDO9g..>

American Friends Service Committee
1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102