[Sayma-Discuss] Fwd: [QUIT-L] South Central Meeting of Friends Minutes Protest of Manning Treatment via Chuck Fager

quakerkristi at aol.com quakerkristi at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 08:28:05 JEST 2011

Friends: South Central Yearly Meeting just adopted the minute below. Please
share it widely.

One of the main authors of the minute is Phil Newberry of Stillwater,
Oklahoma Meeting. (OK is Manning's home state.) Phil is already going on the
road, to share the Minute and his concern with Friends and others in Kansas,
Missouri & Iowa, in hopes of building ongoing support work around
Leavenworth prison while Manning is there. I invite those interested in this
developing work to contact him at: newcat at sbcglobal.net

Chuck Fager
Quaker House

The Minute:

We, the SCYM of the RSOF (Quakers), feel it is our moral and religious duty
to speak out on behalf of PFC Bradley Manning. For more than 3 centuries,
Quakers have borne witness to the mistreatment of prisoners, and we strongly
believe that Private Manning is the victim of mistreatment.

Since July, 2010 he has been incarcerated in military prison under harsh
conditions without being formally charged or tried. Pvt. Manning is accused
of leaking classified information including the video "Collateral Murder."
While people may have different views on the ethics of whistle-blowing and
the apparent misdeeds of the US military, we contend that the treatment of
Pvt Manning is, in any case, unjust and reprehensible. We appeal to the
conscience of members of the American military and the executive branch to
recognize Pvt. Manning's basic human rights.
- - - -
Please share widely.