[Sayma-Discuss] Good News on the Federal Immigration Rules: DHS makes significant changes to deportation programs

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 19:06:50 EDT 2011

Good News for documented and undocumented  immigrants who are in jail and even those who are not.

-- Free

Process Evangelist

 Reform Immigration FOR America <http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/images/email-logo.jpg>

Share This Message:
 <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/825?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=3>  <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/828?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=4>  <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/826?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=5>

  <http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/images/email-table-top3.jpg>

DHS's announcement:
All current deportation cases to be reviewed

  <http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/images/email-urgent.jpg>

For the past few months, you’ve called and petitioned the White House and the Department of Homeland Security asking for them to show some courage and protect our immigrant communities. Our demands have been heard and the Administration has taken a step in the right direction to fixing our broken immigration system.

Yesterday, senior administration officials announced that all 300,000 cases currently in deportation proceedings will be reviewed by DHS, one-by-one, in an effort to focus purely on “high-priority” cases of criminals and individuals who pose a serious threat to the US. Cases deemed “low-priority” will be completely removed from the case log and, non-criminal immigrants once facing deportation, will have the possibility to obtain work permits.

The announcement is the first pro-immigrant procedural change that will provide some relief to DREAMers, LGBT spouses, victims of domestic abuse, and other non-criminal immigrants currently in deportation proceedings.

While the announcement is complicated, we’ve summarized the procedural changes DHS has announced <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/top_10_facts_on_DHS_announcement/1247?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=6>  they’ll make.

This is an important step in the right direction. We urge the Administration to enforce this policy vigorously and follow it through to its full logical and moral conclusion: suspend deportations of all those who work hard every day to create better lives for themselves and their families.

Congrats on this victory, and thanks for all you do,

Marissa Graciosa
Reform Immigration FOR America

Click here to learn more about these policies and share with friends and familt. <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/top_10_facts_on_DHS_announcement/1247?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=7>

 <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/go/top_10_facts_on_DHS_announcement/1247?akid=725.289089.tToVfB&t=8>

  <http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/images/email-table-bottom.jpg>

  <http://act.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/o.gif?akid=725.289089.tToVfB> Get Involved at RI4A.ORG       <http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/why-reform/> Why Reform?       <http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/act-now/> Act Now       <http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/about/> About