[Sayma-Discuss] Victory for little girl in New Jersey show (again) why immigration laws need changed

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 09:39:15 PST 2011

Dear Friends,

Good news and bad news.   Great that the "system" worked to get help for an
ill little girl.      Sad that we need another reason for our country to
treat others as we ourselves wish to be treated.

"When will we ever learn?"

-- Free

Process Evangelist

After listening comes reflection . . .  then possibly action.

From: Amy Gottlieb, AFSC [mailto:actioncenter at afsc.org]

 American Friends Service Committee logo
<http://support.afsc.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11584.gif>

<http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=FpgswqXQ2Kp98JcS46nVKw> .

Dear Free,

Victory In New Jersey!

 njgirlvic.jpg
<http://support.afsc.org/images/content/pagebuilder/njgirlvic.jpg>

AFSC attorney Mariam Habib and US Sen. Menendez pose with the family of
Yarelis Bonilla, in wheelchair, and her medical team.

Photo: Elissa Steglich AFSC.

During this holiday season, one little girl in New Jersey is getting a
special present: a literal chance at life. Five-year-old Yarelis Bonilla has
an acute form of leukemia and her best chance of survival is a bone marrow
transplant. After her family was tested, she was lucky that her
seven-year-old sister, Gisselle, is a perfect match. However, while Yarelis
is an American citizen, her sister lives in El Salvador, and the United
States denied two requests for a visa.

Thanks to diligent help from AFSC's Mariam Habib, and intervention by New
Jersey US Senator Robert Menendez, on Friday, December 2,  the US
Citizenship and Immigration Service issued a humanitarian visa for Gisselle.

AFSC believes that this case in another example of the need for immigration
reform in the United States. In the meantime, there is hope for one little
girl.

Read more <http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=ABvy6zLOCBq0wwAwW8-HoA>  about
this exciting victory.

In the Light,
Amy Gottlieb
American Friends Service Committee

  <http://support.afsc.org/site/PixelServer?j=uEk5H_SQ2ai5YBWP4wfhww>

American Friends Service Committee
1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
 <http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=kIuLHrFaAnKYe8iYqM7mWQ>
http://www.afsc.org/

Please
<http://support.afsc.org/site/CO?i=Z1u3Pox3eI_U1pQC3UJRkYST8u1HUMnx&cid=1081
> follow this link to unsubscribe or change your email preferences.

 <http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=tzKF685KRdpJbgCJtLjTgQ> powered by CONVIO
 <http://support.afsc.org/site/R?i=cjfdX3CPokp3OPTc5whRZg> nonprofit
software