[Sayma-Discuss] [Sayma-Announce] Fw: my latest newspaper column

JERE LICCIARDELLO licciardelloj at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 30 05:22:32 PST 2011

you're welcome.  This is a very nice column Joe Parko wrote.

>________________________________

you.

>Deanna Nipp-Kientz

The latest research shows there is nothing in the archaeological  record supporting the claim that our ancestors have been waging war against  each other for hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, of years. The first  clear-cut evidence of warfare appears just 14,000 years ago. The evidence  takes the form of rock art in Australia, Europe and elsewhere depicting  battles with spears, clubs and bows and arrows; and settlements clearly  fortified for protection against attacks.
War emerged very late in human history when humans shifted from a  nomadic existence to a settled one that was commonly tied to agriculture.  Archaeologist Brian Ferguson of Rutgers University says, "With a vested  interest in their lands, food stores and rich fishing sites, people could no  longer walk away
 from trouble. What's more, with settlement came the  production of surplus crops and the acquisition of valuable objects through  trade. All of a sudden, people had far more to lose, and to fight over, than  their hunter-gatherer forebears.”
So rather than being a product of  our genes, it looks like warfare emerged in response to a changing  environment.
>>Archaeologist Steven LeBlanc of  Harvard University says that war is not a biological compulsion but, rather,  is a response to environmental conditions such as swelling populations and  dwindling food supplies.
A surprising finding of the research is that there has been a  steady decline in the number of wars since ancient times. "Violence has been  in decline over long stretches of history," says Steven Pinker of Harvard  University. We mistakenly believe that war is more prevalent now than in the  past because, unlike in the past, we have instantaneous televised coverage of  wars around the globe.  The fact is that the number of wars has actually  been decreasing over the last few centuries. Pinker gives several reasons for  the decline of wars in general: First, the creation of stable nations with  effective legal systems and police forces. Second, the prospect of longer life  expectancies and a better quality of life that makes us less willing
 to risk  our lives through violence. Third, increasing globalization and improvements  in communications technology, which have increased our interdependence with,  and understanding towards, those outside of our immediate "tribes.”

>>Understanding the environmental conditions that promote war also
  suggests ways to limit it. LeBlanc points out that the modern focus of human
  competition — and the warfare that can accompany it — has shifted away from
  food to energy. One of the keys to peace, he suggests, is developing reliable
  alternatives to fossil fuels. Another key to peace is education that promotes
  tolerance and non-violent conflict resolution.

>>Any announcement of the
  end of warfare would be premature. At the very least, though, we can
  confidently reject the fatalistic belief that war is innate in human nature.
  That assumes "we're some kind of robots where aggressive genes force us to
  pick up knives and guns like zombies and attack each other without any
  thoughts going through our heads," says Pinker.

>>War is not in our
  genes. The research shows that we were not created for war. The fact that the
  military has to put soldiers through months of intensive training in order to
  get them to kill another human being is a further indication that we are not
  born for war. And if warfare is not innate then, surely, neither is it
  inevitable. The fact is that humanity’s ability to reason and to cooperate has
  been, and will continue to be, our key to survival. Our genes do not cause
  war. We have the power to avoid war by using our minds instead of our weapons.
  A good place to start using our minds is to think about the future and to tell
  Congress to cut our huge weapons budget and to use the money to develop
  renewable energy sources instead of more weapons so that we won’t have to
  fight more wars to keep the oil flowing from the Middle East. As we celebrate
  this Christmas season, let Christians show that we truly follow the Prince of
  Peace by actually working for peace. The war in Iraq is over and we need to
  end the war in Afghanistan. Call Congress today and tell them to reduce our
  massive weapons budget and to use the money to promote peace and prosperity
  here instead of war and destruction over there. It’s time for America to stop
  spending almost half its annual budget on war and weapons. It’s time to start
  beating our swords into plowshares.

>>This
  list is for the SAYMA community to post announcements of general interest to
  Quakers. Items for discussion should be posted to
SAYMA-Discuss.