[Sayma-Discuss] Announcing the 2012 Peacebuilders Camp

Jonah McDonald jonahpmcd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 07:55:24 PST 2011

Hello SAYMA Friends!

Last year, about this time, I sent an email to the SAYMA listservs telling
you about the Peacebuilders Camp that I was directing in 2011. A
considerable number of SAYMA Friends helped out with the camp - helping
spread the word to prospective campers, donating to the scholarship fund,
and even providing full scholarships to a few kids from Emmaus House in
Atlanta. Camp went really well and I believe the campers came away with a
new understanding of peacebuilding and social justice. We were blessed with
16 campers, aged 9 - 14, from very diverse backgrounds - kids from the
Atlanta peace community, kids from Emmaus House (an inner-city Episcopal
community), several Latino immigrants, even a girl who is a refugee from
Tanzania. I invite you to read some stories and look at photos from the
2011 camp. We were even interviewed for a show on the Atlanta Interfaith
Broadcasters cable channel. Visit the Peacebuilders Camp website for the
stories, photos, and videos: www.peacebuilderscamp.org

Planning and preparation for the 2012 Peacebuilders Camp is in process.
Along with me and my co-director, Marilyn McGinnis, Fabiola Jimenez is
returning this year as Counselor and Logistics Coordinator. We’ve just
announced the 2012 camp dates (June 25-30, 2012) and are starting to
publicize the camp to teens and their families.

Marilyn (my co-director) and I originally connected to start the
Peacebuilders Camp because of our Peace Church connections. Marilyn is a
Mennonite and has seen an outpouring of support for the camp from Central
District Mennonites. We've even been asked to host a Peacebuilders Camp for
Mennonite families this summer. I'd love to see Quakers continue to be as
active partners with the camp as the Mennonites have become.

I'm writing to ask you if you'd help the Peacebuilders Camp in three ways:

(1) Consider donating to build our Scholarship Fund so we can accept
campers from all walks of life. More information for donors and a credit
card donation form is on the Camp website:
http://www.peacebuilderscamp.org/donors

The Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship, a 501(c)3 organization, is the fiscal
sponsor of the Scholarship Fund. Your donation is fully tax
deductible. Checks should be written to "Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship" with
"Peacebuilders Camp" in the memo line and mailed to:

Peacebuilders Camp

P.O. Box 170488

Atlanta, GA 30317

(2) Please forward this email to your friends so more and more people can
learn about the Peacebuilders Camp.

(3) Help us spread the word about Camp to families with 10-14 year-olds who
might be interested in participating in the 2012 camp.

Thanks so much for being a part of this work! I've really appreciated the
support of the Atlanta Friends Meeting and SAYMA community over the past
year - and your help has made the camp a much richer experience for the
campers.

In peace,
Jonah McDonald (Atlanta Friends Meeting)
co-director, Peacebuilders Camp

Peacebuilders Camp - June 25-30, 2012
www.peacebuilderscamp.org
404-373-8036