[Sayma-Discuss] Quaker Earthcare Witness & FWCC consultation on Global Change

Roy Taylor wrldpeas at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 26 12:04:04 JEST 2011

Here and attached is information coming from QEW Outreach to the SAYMA community.

I am hoping to expand on this and Make an answering session to the queries listed below a workshop at yearly meeting.  Please contact me with any questions.

Roy Taylor
your QEW Representative.

Hello Friends,

I am sending information about Quaker Earthcare Witness (QEW).   Quaker Earthcare Witness is a network of Friends (Quakers) in North America and other like-minded people who are taking spirit-led action to address the ecological and social crises of the world from a spiritual perspective, emphasizing Quaker process and testimonies.

While QEW supports reforms in laws, technology, education, and institutions, its primary calling is to facilitate transformation of humans' attitudes, values, identity, and worldview that underlie much of the environmental destruction going on in the world today.

You can be part of QEW's work by giving of your time, talents, and financial support, becoming a QEW contact for your Meeting, starting an Earthcare group in your meeting, reading and sharing BeFriending Creation and other QEW literature, and leading Earthcare activities in your Meeting.

If they would like to get QEW discussion guides such as Earthcare for Friends, (for First Day school) Earthcare for Children, Seeds of Violence Seeds of Peace (available online for download).You can also  join online discussions at qewdiscussions at yahoo.com, QEWnet.ning.com. Your meeting or children's or school projects may qualify for a QEW mini-grant. We fund environmental projects up to $500 for Quaker meetings, churches, and groups. For more information, visit: http://quakerearthcare.org/AboutQEW/QEWProjects/QEWMiniGrants/GrantOverview.html

       You may browse the QEW website to see the booklets, pamphlets, media library of DVDs and to get information on the topics below:

Global Warming

Cosmology

Earth Awareness

Eco-Communities

Eco-Economics

Genetic Modification

Faith Traditions

Fossil Fuels

Population Growth

Renewable Energy

Sacred Commons

Traditional Wisdom

International Agreements

FWCC
The Friends World Committee for Consultation (FWCC) is a Quaker organization that works to communicate between all parts of Quakerism. FWCC's world headquarters is based in London. It has Consultative Non Governmental Organizational  status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. FWCC shares responsibility for the Quaker UN Office in Geneva and New York  with the American Friends Service Committee] and Britain Yearly Meeting.
FWCC was set up at the 1937 Second World Conference of Friends in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. The mission of FWCC is "to act in a consultative capacity to promote better understanding among Friends the world over, particularly by the encouragement of joint conferences and intervisitation, the collection and circulation of information about Quaker literature and other activities directed towards that end."

1.      Friends World Committee on Consultation (FWCC) has launched a consultation on Global Change -- interconnected changes: environmental, economic, social, spiritual -- to hear from Friends worldwide.
2.      Full details and sample video clips can be seen on the website fwccglobalchange.org.
3.      If you have more questions, ask info at fwccglobalchange.org. You may also contact Canadian YM's David Millar 514 937-4441 fdmillar at gmail.com or Ken Comfort, pastor of Reedwood Friends Church, Portland OR 503 652-2921 ken at reedwood.org.
4.      Any local or regional group of Friends may form a cluster to respond worshipfully to the six queries (see box below).
5.      Clusters may submit written notes, audio, or even videos of their meetings to info@ fwccglobalchange.org for posting on the website. Volunteer listening committees" will translate, compile and post all testimonies from around the world under the relevant query. Young Friends may volunteer to help with recording, editing and posting of media (see facilitator's guide).
6.      In late 2011 a face-to-face meeting with reps from all over the world will be held, to examine testimonies, discern Quaker voice(s), and report to the World Conference in Nairobi 2012.
7.      We look forward not only to the formal Global Change report, but to spiritual transformation, life-style changes and active work to protect all life on earth.
8.      The World Council of Churches calls this JPIC: Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation. There is a simpler word: ecojustice. And a Quaker phrase, common to both universalist and evangelical Friends: "right sharing of the world's resources". A number of meetings have already begun to discuss these concerns, using the Quaker book Right Relationship and One-Book study guide by Philadelphia YM.
9.      Think about whether you or your meeting could organize a cluster anytime in the next year at which you could hold worship-sharing around one or more, or all, of these queries.  It is good to have a recorder note the response to the queries. This response can be sent to Ruth at ArtsCanHeal.com and I will direct it for posting on the FWCC website.

Please contact me by email at Ruth at ArtsCanHeal.com if you have further questions.
Blessings,
Ruth Hamilton,
Chapel Hill Friends Meeting
QEW Representative, Outreach Committee

FWCC QUERIES ON GLOBAL CHANGE
1.      How has global change affected our communities and ourselves?
2.      What actions have we taken in response to global change as experienced
in our area,
to express our responsibilities toward all creation? In what ways have my own activities or those of
my community contributed to positive or adverse local and global change?
3.      How do changes around us affect our relationship with God? How does my relationship with
 God affect my responses to the changes around us?  What role does my faith have in my life and in
 the life of my community?  In what ways do I and my Friends Church or Meeting community bear
 witness to our testimonies in our daily lives?
4.      What stories or experiences from past times of catastrophic happenings – perhaps from
scripture, perhaps from the record of local or regional events – might inspire us to respond to the
changes the world is facing today?
5.      How can we bear witness to the abundance God offers us and testify to the world about ways
in which justice, compassion, and peace may address significant disruptions, stress, and tensions.
6.      How can we support one another in rekindling our love and respect for God’s creation in
such a way that we are messengers of the transforming power of love and hope?