[Sayma-Discuss] [afmdiscussion] Thanks

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 12:10:17 EDT 2011

Thank you Mike and everyone else who attended the SAYMA (Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting and Association  (SAYMA) yearly meeting.      As one of the friends who has been urging you to come back to YM for years, I was happily surprised  to see you at YM.  Your long absence left a hole in our tapestry that nobody filled.    I also enjoyed seeing you play with your granddaughter and daughter, as side of you I hadn’t seen before.    I realize that it a burden to travel distances and appreciate that way opened that you could attend.   As you have heard me say, I take the meaning of “Friends” to literally mean “friend”.   You and I have become friends over the years and I thank the Atlanta Meeting and SAYMA for making that possible.     I miss going to meeting on a regular basis as I am sure there a many “friends” I don’t know, who could be sharing my spiritual journey with whom I am not yet acquainted.      Maybe that’s the definition of a healthy meeting:  More Friends than one can be-friend

It is the Religious Society of Friends who are blessed when Friends attend Yearly Meeting.      We can do events like Quaker Quest and have committees like outreach to help  us attack new folks to meeting.   Yet it is the individual Friends who attend a Friends Meeting and how they live their lives between First Days, as well as how we treat each other and the stranger in Meeting that define “Quakerism” in the city or town the meeting draws from.      Meeting need a sense of unity but also need to allow for more and more diversity of all kinds, in order for us to attract new folks.    We like to call it making the circle bigger.       So, what if someone wants us to be a square?   What then?    I don’t know, but I trust that our Friendly processes can handle anything that comes our way.   If we don’t believe that, we might (even inadvertently) send signals to newcomers that say “you don’t belong here”.    It doesn’t take much to run folks off.    Each of us in meeting could be the first (and last) Quaker that a new attender might speak with.

The more involvement Friends (even in a large meeting like Atlanta) have with Friends from other meetings, the greater the chance that we can retain the folks that we attract and (dare I say it?) perhaps even retain our own children and grandchildren as part of our spiritual community we call the “Religious Society of Friends”.       I needed more diversity than even a “large” meeting like Atlanta provides and Yearly Meeting is the right size (and cost) to do that.      While there are other gatherings, none are gathered to meet to discern the sense of a meeting, which I believe is when the rubber hits the road.    Our process in Meeting for Business differentiates us from most all other faiths and to see it in action for three (partial) days running is awesome.     Until we find the “edge” of an issue we can’t really know where we are and where we as a group are and perhaps discern where we may need to go.

I  would ask Friends and attenders who have never attended a SAYMA  yearly meeting   ( www.sayma.org )   to consider attending in 2012.   We return to Warren Wilson College,( about 20 miles east of Asheville, NC) from  June 7 thru 10th.    I’ve already put it on my calendar and recommend you speak to others who have been to Yearly Meeting recently so you can get some other idea about what to expect.

Looking forward to visiting with you and to meeting some “new” Friends at SAYMA’s YM in 2012!

Your “supernatural” Friend

Free